Cummins ISX rebuild?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Tug Toy, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Yea I'm with you. An ISX was not my first choice in engines. I figured it would work out though. It has so far but it looks like it cost more to build than any other of the big 3. I am very scared to buy an engine from just anybody. Picking someone to do an inframe is just as bad. The guy I called to do the inframe I trust and sure he stands behind his work but he doesent keep his shop very clean. I don't trust any of the big rebuilders at all! Cummins seems like it could be the best bet being a compleate engine this side of a coustom build. Very good info thank you. I am checking out that Facebook page. I'm also checked in to the rawze site too. I have watched his videos and browesed his site for a while.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    There are new ones but they're selling them as reman. I just put a new one on a couple of months ago, it was stamped December 2016 I believe -made in USA ... no Rx or Px

$3300 was the price tag I believe

4. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Mine had 24k on hours and, 752k on miles, after reading all this may be better if she goes out to throw a cat or Detroit in.

5. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
  6. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Hey don't get me wrong here. Cummins is a great motor with amazing potential! We could come up with a horrific list for Detroit and Cat also, Cats the worst!

I just rebuilt my 2008 c15 and refused to buy cat cylinder packs. A friend of mine works in parts and we were going through these things. Liners look like they came out of another motor and just got wiped down and reboxed. Wanna see measurements on a head out by 8 thou? Buy a cat reman!

7. Tug Toy

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Alright, after much searching and pricing of new trucks, used trucks, in frames, crate motors, replacing cam and associated warrantys with the diffrent options.....(for what ever they are worth)..... I ordered a Cummins crate motor. I guess I'm married to this truck for a while.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!!! This is a great site.

Cat sdp and dustinbrock Thank this.
  8. Tug Toy

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    IMG_1942.PNG It's here.

dustinbrock Thanks this.
  9. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    I hope the dealer explained the warranty to you... not only are there a list of parts that must be replaced at the same time, but it also states that unless installed by a certified Cummins mechanic, the warranty is void.

10. Tug Toy

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Yes I have everything in writing. It was a complete engine so no other parts needed to be changed. The waranty is covered with self instal. Just had to have the ECM programmed by an authorized dealer after instal.

Thank you for your warnings though. I was concerned about all you stated before I made the purchase. Went through the same deal with the Eaton reman transmition I installed.

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I don't think he realized you replaced the complete engine.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.