Cummins ISX rebuild?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Tug Toy, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I just realized I never posted pics in this thread. I have my whole truck adventure in the O/O section under the "new or old asked again" thread. This is what a compleate drop in from Cummins looks like after unwrapping. Only other thing you HAVE to do is have the ECM programmed when you are finished. This is for a 2001 truck so no egr or dpf stuff. I have about 12k miles on it so far no problems. It took me 14 days to compleate but I painted the frame and a few other things. If I really got after it I'm sure i could of almost got it done in a long weekend with some help. As it was I don't think I put in a day over 8 hours. There were a few that were only like 4 hours of actual work. LOL IMG_1982.JPG IMG_1983.JPG IMG_1986.JPG

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    stwik and KB3MMX Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tug Toy

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    New life!

wore out and Tug Toy Thank this.
  5. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    No I did, but I was told by Volvo that unless they(volvo) install it, they would not offer any warranty. May just be Volvo. Glad they are covering you.

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    We have customers that installed engines themselves and do not get denied warranty. Warranty is voided if the engine is used for something it wasn't designed for, or whoever installed it messed something up. Usual stuff. But if the engine has a problem due to Cummins workmanship, it is certainly warranty.

Tug Toy and wore out Thank this.
  7. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    Your year ISX is a very good engine, I would have it rebuilt and forget about it for another 900,000 miles.

The C-12 is not a bad engine but it has a few issues, they mostly all leak oil from behind the front cover and on the drivers side head gasket toward the rear of the block, the mileage will not be better than your ISX but your power will be less. The C-12 is lighter so if you're paid by the ton that is a benefit.

I wish I could run a pre emission E-Motor again but my State demands I run the new junk, I would keep that ISX without a second thought if I were you.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  8. Davidsti1

Davidsti1 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2015
    Bump, can we get an update?
    How’s the engine doing?

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  9. Tug Toy

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I’ve got about 75k miles on it so far. Nothing but oil changes so far. Next month I’m pulling the valve cover off to check the overhead and cam lobes. I’ll take it into Cummins for a dyno. The injectors are only warrantied for 1 year or 125k miles. I want to make a Power pull with it before the year is up.

One of the company trucks (2013 t 680) got a new crate Cummins motor in October 2016. Heard a noise in November 17. Took it to the KW dealer and had a new cam ( 2 lobes damaged ) put in with about 120k miles on the motor.

Heavyd, bzinger and Davidsti1 Thank this.
  10. snejana73

snejana73 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Would you please share how much did you pay to install this engine and where ? Also do you have any problems now with the engine?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.