Cummins N-14 Fuel Shut Off Solenoid

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Smellfunny, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Truck was randomly shutting down. Customer brought in truck and I hooked up computer and had a SID 254 FMI 4 code for the fuel solenoid. My dad removed the wire to the solenoid and I removed and installed new solenoid and when I went to hook the wire up it was hot. I thought they had left the key on but it was off. I had 12.5 volts at the wire. When I hooked it up it went to zero. The battery light was on in the dash also. The truck fired right up and shut down like it was supposed to but still has voltage to the wire when wire was disconnected. It has since started reading 6 volts instead of 12.5. I was wondering if something might be going on in the ECM allowing voltage to go through there. (I would not imagine there should be voltage there with key off).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SpeedyGonzalez

SpeedyGonzalez Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    You are correct about there not being voltage there key off, but the way the ECM would fail is fully closed or fully open depending on the electronics inside. Check your battery connections and grounds, most likely have a floating ground and as such a lower voltage at the solenoid. Stray grounds make modern electronics do crazy things.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.