Cummins n14, fuel peddle dead, changed the TPS and Harness

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Jokerone33, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Jokerone33

Jokerone33 Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2018
    I have a 99cummins N14 starts and runs smooth but the fuel peddle is dead changed the TPS and wiring harness to the sensor all injector are working and each cylinder comes up to temp the same within a few degrees any ideas what the problem would be thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Will it idle up with cruise control?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Did you change the accelerator pedal itself, the pedal has a built in potentiometer that receives two reference voltages from the Engine Control Module (ECM), having two ground wires and two signal wires that send a varying voltage back to the ECM relating to accelerator pedal position.

Over time the pedal can get side to side play and essentially wears out and will not give and receive a correct reading on throttle position.

Rideandrepair, x1Heavy and Jokerone33 Thank this.
  5. Jokerone33

Oct 22, 2018
    Yes it will idle up with cruise and no I haven’t changed the peddle itself I will look into this thank you

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The pedal is where you need to look at first.

We had a car that derated because the throttle body (Air intake) and it's electronics were fried. The replacement was pricey. But not as bad as it would have been if the Voltage and count from the throttle pedal was also bad.

7. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    I agree with the guys my peddle was doing same thing with cat motor. Was told that just changing tps most the time will not solve issue. New bendex pedal assembly is 1000 bucks from dealer. Shopped eBay a while back and found brand new bendex for 300. Sometimes you can find a incredible deal. Anyhow, solved problem instantly
    Would be great if you could find someone with same motor and try their pedal in your truck.

8. Jokerone33

Oct 22, 2018
    Changed the peddle nothing changed anybody know what the voltage to the hot wire to the tps is supposed to run for volts/amps

9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I had that same thing happen. The engine would idle only, no throttle response. Company finally got a hold of Cummins and had me do a simple shut off engine, turn ignition on and hit brake twice or something along those lines and throttle response returned. I got 14 hours paid waiting time:D
    Call Cummins if you don't figure it out
    I forget the exact procedure...

10. Jokerone33

Oct 22, 2018
    If I hold it to the floor it slowly comes up gets no more than 1700 rpm but is extremely lazy and when it does come up in rpm it is like it’s fighting itself it surges in rpm like it’s hitting a governor but it should go to 2100 rpm

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  11. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Must be different issue. My throttle would do nothing. I drove 7 miles to Wawa On at idle to go for breakfast that morning:D

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.