Cummins to cat swap questions

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by NW can man, Mar 21, 2013.

1. NW can man

NW can man Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Zillah WA
    Ok we are taking out the 600 cummins and putting in a C15 cat. What I'm trying to find out is do I need to do any rewiring? The motor I got has the complete wiring harness on it with all the end out of a 2003 Pete 379 and my truck in a 1999 Pete 379. According to my local peterbilt all I need to do is install my new motor and plug into the firewall and will be good to go but I wanted to hear what others have to say before I mess something up

Thanks for any input.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w900

w900 Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Carlisle,Pa
    I'm not positive, but I think you need to replace tps switch and harness to match. Hopefully somebody else will chime in to confirm

4. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    look at JYs. they sell wiring. You need engine interface wiring for your new engine. If it can tbe foiund - the only way is to purchase new connectors, termilasm wires and assemly wiring harness

5. PETE97

PETE97 Bobtail Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Sprindale,Wa
    Just did a similar swap in a 97 Pete last year....W900 is right new Tps.... ..as far as the harness goes I would reccomend getting ahold of Ed Mawk at Mawk Industries....some of the pins from the firewall connections could be in different places...not 100% positive...but I'm sure Ed Mawk could supply you with a schematic if needed....he built my harness and it plugged rite in with no issues....If it ain't a Cat its a Dog....hope this helps some...

NW can man Thanks this.
  6. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    any plans for the Cummins ?

7. NW can man

NW can man Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Zillah WA
    Not sure yet I may try parts it out unless i get a good offer. It has a turbo that is 6 months old, air compressor that is 5 months old, 1 new metering actuator and 1 new timing actuator ( each over 700 new) newer water pump, 2 new injectors.

Serial # is 14000972 it is not motor that came in the truck it was a takeout that was rebuilt and installed in this truck

The whole motor was rebuilt 1 year ago so all the pistons and sleeves should be good we just spun #4 rod bearing and the crank is shot. As you can tell it has been a very expensive motor for me the last year and I just like my cats alot better.

If you are interested in it PM me a offer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.