Cummins X-15 500hp, full synthetic?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Deezl Smoke, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I’m still new with this emissions crap but I’ve haven’t heard of a particulate sensor yet, could it be the NOX sensor on the DPF ?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Deezl Smoke

Deezl Smoke Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Hillsboro Oregon
    The person behind the counter at Cummins NW in Portland Oregon used the term particulate sensor. I believe is senses the level of "soot" before and after the DPF. How it works, I dont know. But there is a video on youtube of a guy, I think it's "trucking and fixing with Ryan"? That goes into some explanation of the soot sensor. There was also mention of temperatures before and after the DPF in a previous thread of mine when the check engine light came on, and my cheap little hand held code reader gave a couple codes I asked about here. But they did'nt need replaced I guess.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    After the pandemic hit you couldn’t buy full synthetic truck oil around here prices went crazy.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  5. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018

That is wild.
    I never paid more than $25/gallon Canadian.

6. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    The particulate sensor or PM sensor has sensing probe in outlet of aftreatment close to downstream Nox sensor. It detects the amount of PM (soot) in exhaust, so basically tests efficiency of DPF. They do a Regen to detect the amount of soot collected on probes so operate @ over 1400 F. Started in MY 2016, have replaced quite a few but have also replaced quite a few cracked DPF's that the PM sensor detected but also had soot in stack.

Diesel Dave, Deezl Smoke and Flint1 Thank this.
  7. kwcam

kwcam Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2012
    at the shop
    The shop I work at we use 15w-40 oil, not synthetic, do 300 hr service intervals ( 300hr x 60mph = 18000 mile service) and have never seen any issues as far as engine wear or dpf plugging etc. I worked for a company that ran 0w-40 syn. oil and 500 hr service intervals and had camshaft lobe/rocker roller failures big time, all ISX engines, some would make it a year before cam would go out or the cam in the high pressure fuel pump. Asked them to change oil grade to prevent this and they said "look at this as job security". wtf. told a higher up manager and he made them switch to 5w-40 and the camshaft issues stopped.

8. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I run semi-synthetic, too much pto time to think about really extended drains. I started doing it in winter years ago when I parked the truck with nowhere to plug in, it really helps cranking speed and time to full oil pressure when it's frigid out.
    I've gone to year round with the new motors, the more stable chemistry should make less ash than a petroleum based oil.

Oxbow and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  9. Deezl Smoke

Deezl Smoke Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Hillsboro Oregon
    Ok, so the question of full synthetics seems a question very few people are willing to answer at Cummins. I finally got a phone call into someone at Nashville that I recall answered the phone as Fleet Guard?, even though Cummins sent me to them. Even they sent me through the phone tree till I finally got one man to tell me, yes, I can run full synthetic as long as the stated oil specifications listed in the Cummins owners manual are met, and not void warranty.
    Remember, what I say here is just hearsay from some guy on the www, but that is what I were told and the direction I will go with my own engine. Your mileage may vary. C'mon back.

Hammer166 and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.