Cummins X15 starts and then dies

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Josiah Harder, Feb 6, 2023.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    20220707_161615.jpg 20181127_192712.jpg

The first pic is a davco.
    The 2nd pic with the k37-1011 is paccar's lousy version of a fuel water separator.

The benefit of a davco is you only change the filter when the level gets to the black line at the top. You can also see if the fuel level is constant to the fuel pump. As the davco collects impurities in the fuel, the level will rise. The upside down peterbilt version is always full of fuel, you have no idea what the fuel restriction is or isn't. You just change it at every oil change, or every other, or a set number of miles, etc. Plenty of opinions on when to change. Mine was problematic with the oem filter, it would run like it's starving for fuel after maybe 12-15,000 miles in summer and in winter it wasn't uncommon to have the same symptoms after only 5,000 miles. The filters cost about the same. Also - I do not have a fuel restriction gauge. I'd like to, dash space doesn't currently allow and it isn't too high a priority anymore.

Josiah Harder and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Davco is the probably the largest/most installed and oldest fuel/water separator company. Also the most reliable.

[​IMG]

NOTE: All suction side fuel filters experience bubbles. It is normal to see champagne size bubbles in the fuel processor at the Fuel Pro/Diesel Pro outlet or at the lift pump.

Weekly water drains 1. Turn off the engine and remove the vent cap. 2. Place a suitable container under the Fuel Pro and open the drain valve. 3. Collected water will flow into the container. When fuel begins to flow out the drain, close the drain valve. Drain the least amount of fuel as possible. 4. Install the vent cap and tighten it by hand until it clicks. 5. Start the engine and raise the RPM for one minute to purge the air from the system

D.Tibbitt and Josiah Harder Thank this.
  4. Josiah Harder

Josiah Harder Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2022
    Thank you for those suggestions guys I don't have a Davco but will definitely be adding it to the list of things to get haha

Update on truck. After driving for a day and leaving that shop with new filters I encounter the exact same problem this morning. Running just as it was in those videos but after letting the truck sit for a couple minutes in between restarts it finally normalized and I was able to drive myself to Peterbilt where they scanned it and seen more codes for that VGT actuator. They are pretty confident that's my problem since it was the only recent code. Even though Cummins checked that to see if it was seized I'm being told that internally there can still be faults and that I should replace that actuator

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I wouldn't think the turbo actuator would make it stumble like that...........

They may be right... I suggest you read a whole bunch over on rawze.com , there are plenty of shops will plug in computer has a code they say "oh you need a turbo or actuator since the computer says so" you go and spend a bunch of money and have the same problem. It could be a bad sensor giving erratic data which would need to be monitored in insite, but perhaps not erratic enough to trip a code for it, instead giving a different code. I'd really start reading over there though, if you just throw parts at it the next thing they will say is you need a turbo and you are quickly into $10k+ and you haven't solved anything..

6. Josiah Harder

Sep 23, 2022
    If the engine is being choked off by that actuator not allowing sufficient or any air through the turbo wouldn't that make sense? It feels like a derate from the ECM also because my fuel pedal provides no input when this issue is occuring. They are first going to check the circuit between actuator and ECM before replacing it in case it happens to be a bad wire. I will also suggest they monitor for a bad sensor in insite like you said thanks! Cus the only code I had was for that actuator though it was inactive

7. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    If the code was inactive then that problem is not current, not a problem at this time. It may be intermittent. Once the voltage/signal is verified to the actuator, separating the actuator from the turbo will tell more. The actuator may be frozen or the lever on top of the turbo that moves the vanes may be frozen. If either is frozen that part needs to be replaced.

Josiah Harder Thanks this.
  8. Josiah Harder

Sep 23, 2022
    Cummins told me they had it apart and confirmed neither turbo arm or actuator arm was frozen and they voltage tested my actuator to check it was okay. But now Peterbilt is saying it could be moving freely and still have some fault internally that causes it to fail intermittently like it has been

9. Kamb

Kamb Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2023

10. Kamb

Kamb Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2023
    Did you recently run outta fuel?
    Mines 2020 x15 565 performance motor. Recently ran out of fuel and now it starts in morning then dies after 3 seconds. Then starts after cycling the switch and runs just fine for the rest of the day, no engine light,...I'm still exploring the internet for answers but no answers so far. Everyone has different opinions. Anyone???

11. Josiah Harder

Sep 23, 2022
    No I didnt run out of fuel but Im guessing your problem will be fairly easily resolved by eliminating air in the system though I wouldnt know where to start to do that

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.