Current state of trucking industry summed up into one image

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kenworth6969, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Heaveninamoment

Heaveninamoment Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Milky Way
    i felt the same after reading it. Eh. What can we do? I can be just as happy in a palace suite as in the bush of a remote African village with wild monkeys stealing my breakfast and ants crawling on the food I’m eating-they’re just more food to eat right?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. teemobile707

teemobile707 Bobtail Member

May 1, 2020
    I get his point here! If you have equipment that is not paid for yet, you'd have to keep rolling. Selling the equipment is always an option but breaking even and walking away would be determined on the value of said equipment. If your equipment is paid for then you have a clean cut choice on if you'd like to continue as an O/O.

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Just because a dealer is selling an over priced truck for $130K, doesn't mean you're going to be able to.

You need a buyer, that has the money. Unless you're going to carry the note.

5. Heaveninamoment

Oct 16, 2018
    Milky Way
    Ooooo y
    Ok yeah that was me. I worked non stop for about 20 months with nothing but my 34’s off to pay mine off. I couldn’t leave and ooooo how I wish I could but it’s cool now.

6. teemobile707

teemobile707 Bobtail Member

May 1, 2020

For sure, now is NOT the time to buy a truck! If you own your own truck OR purchased one when the prices were no so over inflated you may be in good shape. Question is: do you want to continue down the Brandon Yellow Brick Road?! :)

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I'm not sure what that means. My political view is just to the right of Atilla The Hun's.

Trucking, like just about everything, have people that make it look easy. Doesn't mean that it is.

Lot's of folks want to be O/O, but simply don't possess the skill set necessary. And some learn that the hard way.

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I'm no teacher, but with nobody to buy the truck, and those payments keep coming in, quitting is not an option, unless you bail on society altogether. You have to take in the shorts whatever "they" throw at you, and something else has to suffer, like maintenance, or the wifeys new bathroom and "wait it out", until you have nothing left to sacrifice. I have a farmer friend that told me 20 years ago, he lost $1,000 A WEEK, but had so much into the farm, he couldn't afford to quit.

9. Heaveninamoment

Oct 16, 2018
    Milky Way
    technically I am losing $3,000 a week or more depending on who is doing the books. It’s all up to whatever fits best for each person. Yes I take whatever “they” throw at me, whatever is on the load boards public and internal and from brokers calling. I am not like y’all with my own manufacturing plant and distribution centers where I can create a product and ship it to my own sellers for any rate I demand from my imagination. I’m ok with where I’m at in life because I cannot do any better at the moment and when I have and can then that I do. And if I knew of a better way I’d take it too.

201 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.