Currently a Broker but want to start a trucking company

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by AthenaTrans, Aug 19, 2018.

1. AthenaTrans

AthenaTrans Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Hey people, I am currently a sales manager for a larger broker. I'd love to buy a truck or two, pay drivers a premium and have a carrier rep at my company (or have my wife / will-be dispatcher) get with other brokers to run the trucks around. My company is notorious for not giving you a copy of your non-compete, if you as to see it they know you're up to something (looking for another job, etc). What are your thoughts on my wife doing all the dispatch and back office work for the assets but I remaining in my position? If my company found out, what would be their position and why? Owning and operating assets is a lot different than brokering but..... I do have visibility to a lot of freight. Thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I think you should bring this up with someone else at the company to make sure that your ### is covered. Big brokerages are very corporate, but it's entirely possible that they won't care about this. If they don't care it's MUCH better than doing it behind their backs. That actually enables all kinds of self dealing craziness that should enable you to run a VERY profitable trucking operation.

AthenaTrans Thanks this.
  4. NHS

NHS Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Seems to me you would be looking at a conflict of interest (brokering for one company, while owning assets under another Mc #)....as suggested I would run it to ground with you current company as going behind their backs may not end well. Worst case if you really want to own trucks and broker, why not sign on with a company where you can do both (ie universal, greatwide, etc.)?

AthenaTrans Thanks this.
  5. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Put everything in the wife's name. Don't tell your drivers that you work for xyz.
    Keep it simple and do out and backs.
    Stick to one customer so your wife can go direct with other customers.
    It's a cut throat business, welcome to captialism.

6. AthenaTrans

Aug 19, 2018
    Thank you all for the replies. I like #3’s response, i’d just hate to risk my job and income during the start up phase, and going to them upfront is scary. But i see both sides for sure. My biggest concern is finding a driver, its going to be tough.

7. Justflappingmygums

Justflappingmygums Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2018
    bring your desire up to the company, ask if its something they can permit and work with, if not tell them you wont pursue it, then register everything under your wife's name or find a reliable business partner that understands your situation and is trustworthy, cover your ### but don't give up on a solid opportunity that you think you can make work. whatever you do dont overextend yourself. remember what ron swanson said "dont halfass two things, wholeass one thing

8. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Little by little I'm starting to actually believe you when you talk about sales on the internet lol.

Tug Toy and PPDCT Thank this.
  9. AthenaTrans

Aug 19, 2018
    I love this. Thank you all!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.