Custom truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Scooter2198, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Scooter2198

Scooter2198 Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2020
    Please move if in the wrong stop. But I grew up in a fab shop. And a wild hair popped up. I wanna build 1950’s style truck and maybe to to a few shows. But the question I wanna ask is, can you legally build a tractor from the ground up like you can a car is most states? And I mean from sheet steal and frame rails. Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    A truck tractor would be no different than any other motor vehicle in this regard.
    The current procedure with typical automobile restomods is to find a starting point with a car that is pre emission (1975) and here is the important part - with a good title and identifiable vin number, preferably the OEM vin plate. Once you have that you can make any modifications you wish, the only limitations would be what is road legal in the state you are registering it in.
    Do exactly the same with a truck tractor, make sure it has a clean title and a vin plate. I am guessing you intend to drive this. If it is just a show truck it may or may not be considered commercial. I would tend to stay with a drive train that is pre 1999 so the ELD thing doesn't get in the way. How you register the truck will depend on the state you are in. If you can get some sort of antique plate for it that may allow you to avoid certain regulatory requirements or a cheaper base plate.
    The Antique Truck Historical Society would be a good place for exact information like this.
    American Truck Historical Society

650cat425 Thanks this.
  4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    It depends what your end result is. If you want to build something for shows most people tow them on a low bed or something to the shows.

If you want to drive it to the shows only and not use it commercially most States I think I have some type of a reconstructed title process you have to go through.

To use it commercially depending on which state you're in some are easier and some are much more difficult with getting it certified and the paperwork and title work, although I think that also would be some type of reconstructed title.

5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    In Ca. you can fabricate a Home-made veh and get it registered at DMV, however, it must be street legal and get inspected by CHP. So quality of metal work, engine, brakes, lights, safety etc must pass muster. DMV will issue a VIN plate.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.