Cypress Truck Lines: Bad for Newbies, Great Weight Loss Plan

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Robin, May 28, 2007.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Uh.... Who did?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    +1. That's the most ridiculous crap I've ever heard of. This company saw you coming a mile away.

Don't give up. There are better outfits out there--if your post is accurate, you seem to have actually found a company worse than Swift and JB combined, and that's a feat. Thanks for warning folks away from these people.

4. Duff L Bagg

Duff L Bagg Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I am currently attending a driving school in central Florida; the Cypress recruiter was in a few days a go and was selling his snake oil.

I ask what the average age of their Equipment was, and was told that the fleet consisted of 1998 – 2007 trucks. And was promptly told that no company was going to issue a rookie driver a new truck.
    I pointed out to the recruiter that I had ask for the average age of the equipment not the year span of their trucking museum. To say that he was not pleased with me would be an understatement. I do hope that I have ruined any chance of them ever hiring me.

I live in the Daytona Beach area and have seen Cypress’s equipment running up and down I-95, most of it is in very poor condition.

I think that I would rather push a Swift truck over Donner Pass than drive a Cypress truck down it.

ramblingman Thanks this.
  5. Robin

Robin Bobtail Member

May 28, 2007
    Dunnellon, FL
    Looks like the $3K I spent on driving school was completely wasted. In the three months since leaving Cypress I have not found a job that takes school grads in my area and offers them home time that I can live with. Every local job demands at least two years' experience OTR, and every OTR job I can get here in Ocala demands that I abandon my family, move out of my house and live in the truck for weeks or months at a time.

I'm glad to warn people away from Cypress because of the way they treat new drivers. But I wish someone had warned me that new drivers have to surrender their homes and marriages for the first couple of years.

Looking for a completely different careeer (again),
    Robin

6. Semperfi_One

Semperfi_One Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Robin, May I ask what area you live in? I too am starting out in trucking and it is hard to be home every night. Some company's will have you home after five days out. They are there, just read some of the posts here too. I hate to see you spend hard earned money for nothing. Getting your CDL took some doing. Hang in there.
    Semperfi,
    Bob:biggrin_25519:

7. Robin

Robin Bobtail Member

May 28, 2007
    Dunnellon, FL
    Thanks! I live near Ocala, Florida and have multiple dozens of applications out there. I can easily get a job - as long as I agree to abandon my family and move out of the house and into a truck for a couple of years. I wish I had been told all this before I went to CDL school!

But today I'll try a couple more local jobs (like driving a dump truck or something) and add the passenger endorsement to my CDL. Maybe I'll get a job with one of those charter bus companies or something. It would never qualify me for the high-paying local jobs, though. But it might pay as well...

Thanks again,
    Robin

8. crockit

crockit Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2007
    columbus ga.
    thanks for the info, a very good read. I could tell they had an ajenda. the oriantation program they talked about made no sence to me. Anyway thanks.

9. Strngs012

Strngs012 Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Palm Coast, Fl
    LOL, I had to laugh, not at your expense Robin, but because I was driving up I-95 the other morning and I saw one of the flying death-traps-O-Doom going by me. His right front bumper was flapping in the breeze, and as we all went in to the scales at Palm Coast one of Fl's gung-ho DOT cops pulled him off to the side. Sucks to be him. I hope you find a good job soon.

10. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Number 1500 (again).

Here are some options you might consider:

1. Get the class-B bus endorsement you mentioned.

2. Try to get a job at Coca-Cola or Pepsi driving straight trucks.

3. Get retrained in another field. Make sure the government pays for it this time. Don't be paying for your training out of your own pocket. That's for fools.

11. Mic77

Mic77 Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Tampa, Fl.
    I worked for Cypress truck lines for over ten years as an owner operator, running otr never have I heard such comments as I just read. In fact I left Cypress because their safety program was very difficult for those of us who like to truck around the clock. Even as an O/O we had to at least come through the Jax terminal once a month to have our truck inspected, their safety dept. was second to none, and their equipment was always well maintained, I probably made more money with Cypress than any other company I ever worked for. once you were out of the Jax. terminal you were self dispatched at their sat. terminals. you picked your own loads, you stayed out as long as you wanted, providing you stayed legal. I'm not saying Robins post is not true, I'm just saying it is a different company than the company I worked for.

1catfish Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.