Cypress Truck Lines journey begins

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MericanMade, Mar 11, 2020.

1. MericanMade

MericanMade Heavy Load Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    I'm not going to dwell on this, but I have to rant a little bit before I put this to bed. With the exception of the two men in their early 20's, I have no doubt that I was the fittest person in that room. I didn't see anyone getting up before dawn to work out in the parking lot with me, but I saw a lot of very overweight and soft guys wolfing down Big Macs and fries every day for lunch. One guy who is definitely smarter than I, didn't disclose that he has had two hernia surgeries. Another guy couldn't straight-line back in 10 tries. Another guy looked like an ax-murderer. He didn't speak for two days, but every time I looked over at him, he was leering at me. Scary dude. I did well on my evaluation drive and popped that trailer into the slot with only one pull-up. It's just ironic to me who gets hired and who doesn't get hired in the end and the reasons why not.

My hernia surgery was elective and outpatient. Been doing hard, physical labor and abdominal workouts with nary a problem in the 10-12 years since. It's just dumb.

Now, back to the important questions: how do I check what Cypress put on my DAC, and do I forever have a Scarlet Letter with anyone who uses Driver Pulse?

Randy said something like, "we won't say anything about it" and they even gave me gas money back home.

In the end, I think Cypress would have been a great company to work, but I have this character defect of telling the truth, or at least trying to.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Having hernia surgery isn’t a deal breaker with lots if not most companies. Van, tanker, and reefer companies could probably care less as long as you pass the DOT physical. Some have their own physical tests that they administer, if you pass you’re in. Lots of drivers have had hernia surgery.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. MericanMade

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    It was a voluntary, bucket-list type move. Kitchen remodeling is always good in the spring, except during major pandemics.

I looked at the website and it looks like they want experienced drivers. I need training. I can manage $500/week income for a month or two because I've got money squirreled away, but, yes, $1000/wk would be what I'd need long term to pay the bills.

Thanks, man.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. MericanMade

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    I get the impression that "I forgot about it" wouldn't cut it because it seems that the pre-employment medical questionnaire and post-hiring questionnaire are intended to catch you in an inconsistency. I didn't mention the chiropractor hurting my neck because it didn't require surgery, got better with ice and rest, wasn't permanent, and hasn't prevented me from remodeling several hundred kitchens since then, ergo, I can roll up a tarp and put in on a trailer if there's no forklift around.

The question regarding that asked, "Have you ever had a neck, back, knee, elbow, or shoulder injury that would prevent you from performing your duties?" I answered NO, which was the truth. But Randy warned us to put everything down on that post-hiring questionnaire because if they found out otherwise, you wouldn't be hired. So, on the second one, I played it safe and mentioned the neck injury, and the little gal in the office said that was the reason they didn't hire me, because of the "inconsistencies." I was too much "in shock" to process the malarkey she was spouting. Mind-boggling. So was it the hernia, as Randy stated, or the "inconsistency" that the gal stated? Who knows.

The admissions process to the U.S. Naval Academy wasn't this hard!

How would I check my DAC?

6. MericanMade

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    Can any of you part-time lawyers read this privacy statement and give your opinion as to whether or not the information I submit in the application to one company is available to another company? I mean, for example, can Stevens Transport look at the stuff I provided to Cypress?

Attached Files:

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    To check DAC go to www.hireright.com
    ~
    I think the neck injury was the deciding factor.
    I never put down that I was on Diovan for blood pressure, which ensured I always had a 2 year DOT medical card.
    One time I slipped and said something about Diovan and the doctor gave me a 1 yr. card. From then on had to get a physical every 12 months.
    ~
    Good guys finish last in trucking.

8. MericanMade

Aug 14, 2019
    Pensacola, FL
    I should have sued that chiropractor!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    When I did recruiting and used Ten Street, the same info was sent out to several companies at once, so that way the applicant doesn’t have to fill out several apps and saves time. So whatever you put on the app, goes to all the companies you choose to submit to.

hint: never provide additional information unless they ask for it. Keep it simple. I’ve seen hundreds of people talk themselves out of jobs by saying too much on an application. The recruiter is just waiting for you to list or say something that disqualifies you. They aren’t your friend, they make money off your head.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    How about those companies I listed earlier today?

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, trick you into admitting you smoked pot in high school or used Chantix to quit smoking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.