D.O.T. Regs about slick roads

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by wasted1, Feb 24, 2015.

1. wasted1

wasted1 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Oklahoma City,Ok
    A big thank you to 77smartin. I tried searching FMCSA but must not have put in the correct search terms. I wouldn't mind posting the company publicly but not sure if my brother would appreciate it. I will ask. And to audiepyle - I told him the same thing. I hope he does.

77smartin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I'm glad you are aware of your limitations. Some of us spend nearly half the year driving on ice and snow without issue. However, drivers should not drive if they feel it is unsafe to do so because they alone bear the burden of the outcome.

j_martell Thanks this.
  4. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    i dont know how we can call a man a fool if we werent there

we dont know how slick the roads were, the student may have been driving too slow out of fear and just fear,, maybe the roads were fine

you cant judge a man by the one-man testimony of hearsay

5. wasted1

wasted1 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Oklahoma City,Ok
    First, Thanks for your reply. Personally, I believe if the roads are iced up then it is better to pull over and park it. It's safer that way for the driver and other people stuck in that weather. What made this situation worse was the fact the trainer wanted my brother to do 65 mph (which is the max speed the truck is governed to) on an icy road. Doing 40 mph on ice is bad enough. I have driven on slick roads before but you can bet I didn't drive at an unsafe speed.

6. wasted1

wasted1 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Oklahoma City,Ok
    I agree wholeheartedly with this and said close to the same thing to him.

7. saddleup

saddleup Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2011
    magnolia, ky
    At the end of the day if more drivers would forget about the shippers, the receivers, the dispatchers, Just maybe we wouldn't see the 100 vehicle pile ups on the news and hear about the anti trucking groups calling for more regulation against us. it is just common since not to drive on ice covered roads or fog so thick you can't see the nose of the hood ( don't matter if you have 20 years or 20 days over the road) that is the problem today, everyone is in a hurry and willing to risk life and death for nothing. And for those that keep posting up that they been driving for 20 plus years over the road, shame on you for telling someone else that they should get over it and just keep driving, and it don't matter where you have lived. You should know as a experienced driver that you need much more stopping distance when driving on snow and ice if you can stop some times, and in heavy thick fog you have zero reaction time. Experience don't make you a super trucker/ stupidity makes you a super trucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grouch Thanks this.
  8. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    sometimes its better to drive out of the storm than sit three days in it

and that has nothing to do with DOT, dispatchers, recievers, shippers or anyone else

i dont want to sit at a truckstop for two or three days when i could have driven 4 more hours and been in better weather

elogs will take that option off the table, more people will have to sit in bad weather than leave for better, safer conditions

kona911 Thanks this.
  9. Lowa3468

Lowa3468 Heavy Load Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Portland, Or
    Here you go.....

if you feel the conditions are not safe for you to drive in.....snow, ice, fog or any other sort of reason just type in the qc (unsafe driving conditions) that's all you need and shut down......

if company tries to tell you, you have to drive via qc then you have them by the balls, if they call you record the conversation and again if they tell you to move the truck well again you have em by the balls.

just putting that phrase in qc will help, and you can call your safety dept. first and put it to an end right there but if that doesn't work then take it up with local dot. But make sure you put in the qc unsafe driving conditions....

10. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    In addition to others comments, If you cant roll on, the road(s) will be closed..

11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I like many before and many after have and will drive in the snow and ice. I would very much appreciate all drivers that can't or won't drive a minimum of 45 on the Interstate in the slow lane and within 5mph speed limit in the hammer lane. Park your truck. You are being a safety hazard on the road. I have at times decided to park rather than drive slow in a storm. Twice I think. (sarcasm) Good luck and have a safe ride.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.