Dahl trucking / Elmore truck & trailer & Europersonnel

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by wheelmouse, Oct 6, 2012.

1. wheelmouse

wheelmouse Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Pretoria, South Africa
    As some of you might remember I told you last year that I will be coming to the US(from South Africa) to be trucking for a year or so.

Well I did ended up coming here in May this year with 20 other South African guys to do some seasonal road construction driving around Minnesota & Iowa. After we arrived, the owner of the company Marlin Dahl along with the rest of his team, informed us that they wont be paying us per hour as our contract stated but per load. Now this would not have been the biggest problem if only there was a fixed rate for the loads or per distance. But they couldnt tell us what rate we will be paid per mile or per trip and eventually that turned out to be what ever they felt like that week. For the first few weeks they told us that they cannot pay us yet as we were all still in the proscess of waiting for our social security cards, but they said that we shall be "backpayed" as soon as we get our social security cards. I ended up getting a paycheck of US$ 39 (yes thrity nine) at the end of my fifth week. When I/we asked them what the heck is going on here the ######## stories started. At this point al of us had outstanding monies in excess of $3,500(excluding our return airfares to get here and return to SA which was around $2000 per person) each according to our own calculations, thus we tried to get the monies before just leaving. Eventually they said this would be fixed on the next payday. Well come the next payday i recieved a paycheck of $264.00 Now this started to become a snowball effect, the longer you stayed the more monies you lose, although we kept our side of the deal and did our work as were expected. I eventually got another job offer around the 9th week and left the company like most of the guys did. In that 9weeks I did not even recieve a full $2000.00 and I drove around 21,000miles.

We now have an ongoing investigation with the US Department Of Labor to try and retrieve at least some if not all of our outstanding monies.

I would also like to mention that most of us worked trough a South African Recruiting company called Europersonnel thats run by a woman called Magda. After everything we went through with Dahl trucking and after we informed her about the corruption going on at Dahl trucking, this woman sent a bunch more drivers to go and work for Dahl as the initial guys left! To me this was realy totally unacceptable that she would keep sending people to this company whilst she knew what they were in for!

Be warned and stay away from Dahl Trucking / Elmore truck & Trailer and also Europersonnel!!

Dahl trucking is being run from the town Elmore located on highway 169 South Minnesota and also have a truck repair workshop called "Elmore truck & trailer" thus the mentioning of both names. Dahl trucking also have a unmanned office in Swea city, Iowa for paperwork purposses.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I know this post is a couple months old, but I can't help myself. You seem to be a fairly smart guy. And since I have never been to South Africa, I can't question why you would want to come all the way here for a job. But what did you expect to happen. The U.S. is in the middle of a pretty severe economic situation. Our unemployment rate is higher than it has been in decades. If that company was above board and honest, and meant to pay a fair wage for a fair days work, they could have found a few dozen people in Minnesota and Iowa to drive for them. They certainly would not have had to hire from South Africa. I do hope you get what you deserve in back pay and such.

4. Dahl Trucking

Dahl Trucking Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2013
    As an employee of Dahl Trucking/Elmore Truck & Trailer, I feel it is necessary to reply to this report. It is quite easy to narrow down who the employee was that wrote this post. Here are a few of the extra details he does not give you. 1. He arrived in the states on May 15, 2012 and was taken for his DOT pre-employment drug test, on May 21, 2012, he was taken for a 2nd pre-employment drug screen, (this is required by the DOT and must result in a negative result before any driver can be put in a truck). He attended our annual Safety Meeting on May 19, 2012. 2. He signed a phone lease agreement with us on May 21 2012. 3. He filled out necessary paperwork and was orientated on May 25, 2012. 4. He received his first paycheck on June 8, 2012 (which was the end of his 3rd week here, not his 5th, as he states) for one load that he hauled the week of 5/20-5/26/12. Yes, it was for $39.55, but it was only one load and please remember he had only been here for 5 days (2 of them a weekend) prior to this work week and yes, it was 3 weeks after his arrival but, all new drivers have to wait this long for their first paycheck as he has to work for a week, submit his paperwork for billing processing the following week and then payroll is processed the next week, with paychecks following weekly after that. 5. What this driver does not tell you is in the meantime while he was waiting for his first paycheck, Dahl Trucking advanced him money so he would not go hungry. The other thing he does not tell you is, Dahl Trucking provided him with a home and all the necessary furnishings and essentails needed to live. Also, Dahl Trucking provided each home with a van to use. 6. Dahl Trucking has 2 divisions, one is End Dump Drivers and the other is Belly Dump Drivers. They each get paid differently because of the type of work they do. This driver was an end dump driver and was paid a % of the tons he hauled per load. They do not get paid by the mile or the load and the rates do vary by job so, yes, we could not tell him a definate dollar amount he was making. Our jobs are bid on usually 2 years in advance and the wages are set then, we just don't make up a wage as we go. The important thing to remember here is that the DOL determines an hourly wage we have to pay before we are approved to hire these drivers. When calcuating the wages they earned and the hours they worked, they were making above and beyond this hourly wage. We had an in office meeting with these drivers on June 6, 2012 providing them with examples of "their" paychecks and how much they were making in hourly wages at that time. In all wage calcuating these drivers were receiving $4.00 - $5.00 an hour more than was required by the DOL. This driver did attend this meeting and received this information. 7. This driver only worked here for 7 weeks. He turned in his notice, (not a 2 week), staing the job was not what he thought it would be and that he was going to return home. 8. His total earning for the time he was here were over $4100.00. 9. It would not have been possible for him to drive 21,000 miles in 7 weeks because that comes to 3,000 miles a week and with the local work we do, that is not possible. Lastly, I would like to say there are many things that factor into our work here. We hire these guys from South Africa and give them the opportunity to come here and work with the hope they can help make things better for their families back home. Those that are dedicated workers do just that, the ones such as this driver, do not have the ambition to work for a living and expect things just "to be given to them". Euro Personnel and Magda are not the problem here, only ignorant applicants.

5. teflondave

teflondave Light Load Member

May 22, 2012
    harwood, md
    man...all these people in the country out of work and you all decide to "outsource" and hire drivers from overseas...i'm going out on a limb here but you couldn't find qualified drivers in your area??? then you call them ignorant??? all I can say is watch out for karma 'cause it's gonna get you!!!!!!!

Leftlane101 and Rick_C Thank this.
  6. Dahl Trucking

Dahl Trucking Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2013
    In response to "light load member", all these people in the country out of work are not all truck drivers, if you follow any of the national truck driving reports you would know about the shortage of drivers in this industry. We need drivers that can stay out away from home during the week and now days most "drivers" do not want to do that. As far as calling them "ignorant", it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole basket, as "wheelmouse" has attempted. Most of these guys are great, they are eager to learn and ever so grateful to come here and work as we are to have them.

7. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Heavy Load Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Cape Ann, Massachusetts
    Mr. Dahl, there is a little more to the story here, as you well know, that I will share with the rest of the readers: The reason that there is a shortage of drivers is ONLY because you trucking business owners are screwing your drivers out of a fair wage. You are finally beginning to use up your "resources" (gullible human beings) and are taking whomever you can; including foreign workers. And spare me the fact that you guys "deserve" all your millions because of all the risks that you take to operate your business; your drivers risk their own lives everytime they get behind the wheel.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    teflondave, Lonesome and Leftlane101 Thank this.
  8. teflondave

teflondave Light Load Member

May 22, 2012
    harwood, md
    @ dahl trucking...sell those woof cookies somewhere else...there isn't a business in this country that doesn't receive some sort of financial benefit from the gov't for importing foreign labor or outsourcing jobs...there isn't a shortage of drivers in this country just an overabundance of greed by the folks in charge on these companies...that's where the so called driver shortage is coming from but I guess paying more monies per mile to the drivers already here makes to much sense...so keep up the great "humanitarian" work you're doing...

Lonesome Thanks this.
  9. Tennessee Trucker

Tennessee Trucker Heavy Load Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Winchester,Tn.
    Sounds like another Eurotrash recruiting outfit, there is a reason the FMCSA is cracking down on these Eurotrash outfits

10. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Eurotrash lol. Dahl Trucking seems to have more tricks up his sleeve than a street corner magician.

11. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    So the driver was there for 7 weeks, and grossed $4100.00? That's not quite $600.00 a week, gross, for staying out all week. No wonder you have to import drivers.....

Also, most of the places who hold wages for 3 weeks are either bottom feeders, or in trouble. How many "drivers" were housed in each "home?

johnnyreb0706 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.