Dan Rather blasts trucking, industry blasts back

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by rookietrucker, Oct 22, 2009.

1. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nwcountry

nwcountry hot-flash

Sep 11, 2009
    Winchester Oregon
    Holy Moly!! That girl really hit the jack-pot! She won't be homeless anytime soon. And she had never driven a passenger vehicle except around a block? So that means she got her CDL without passenger vehicle driving for at least a year? I'm confused but what's new, LOL!!!

4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi

85% that involve cars, are deemed to be caused by an action of the auto driver.

I would venture a guess that 99% are settled out of court, with huge sums of money going to the idiot driving the car.

Sadly, the death rate is extremely high when an accident involves TWO trucks. No hard numbers on that...but I'm sure they're there somewhere.

5. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Going back and watching the full video. If this doesn't scare the hell out of you......

You're hired.

rookietrucker Thanks this.
  6. twindriver

twindriver Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
    Truckerdave1970 It was not my intention when replying that you were speaking badly of truck drivers. Sorry if my thoughts did not come across as intented.

The fact still remains there are truckers who just don't care, there some who really do care about what we do for a living. We move the country people, if we halted our trucks for 1 week, the whole nation would go into a frenzy. Everything we have on our tables today came by way of trucking or ship with containers. Some of you truckers are getting the wrong idea? This is not Hitler regime! Look at the White House its now a liberal government soon will be taking over all that we know. We will become another Cuba!

7. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    We dont need to stop moving freight! This is not my idea, but I saw it on this board.
    Pick a city, any city, draw a 100 mile circle around it. Trucks dont go in that circle, nothing in and nothing out! Until we get their attention! It's got to be the best and easiest idea I've ever heard. Not a single driver loses his job or his truck, you can still make the money you need to pay bills, just turn down that 1 load or get to"sick" to drive that day!

8. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    As much as I dislike Dan Rather, I can't really find fault with this story. CRST is much a bottom feeder as the rest of the members of ATA. Didn't Swift get busted for a bunch of CDL from TN that weren't kosher?

As someone who started out with CR England, I can't say that the story is really too far off the mark.

Aubrey Allen Smith and Beechvtail Thank this.
  9. Turn3

Turn3 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Pacific, Missouri
    I have to agree, this story wasn't at all what I was expecting. Taking a test in an automatic is cheating IMO, I think everyone needs to do it in an 18 speed!

I can say that I was lucky for my friend taking me under his wing... all my training was on the road with loads and a 18 speed. In fact the first I ever drove through the cone maze was for my test.

I think she was trying to say the first time she drove a Class-8.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
  10. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    I have just watched the video and after hearing all sort of negative comments about it, I must say that it only presents the truth. I see no prejudice or bias in the report. TRUTH!

There are us who have been out here for years never saw the inside of a "driving school". The way I learned was that I had a friend who had three trucks and I rode thousands of miles with him and he took time with me and through his patience and knowledge, he taught me. I was taught many things beside "driving" and those included load securement, driving in bad weather, how to find directions without a GPS system and a thousand other things.

I think Dan Rather did a super job on reporting the truth.

Hagstace Thanks this.
  11. Turn3

Turn3 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Pacific, Missouri
    I agree with this... while I was learning to drive trucks I was also learning how to chain and strap heavy equipment. Along with driving off road learning how to stay out of trouble.

Thinking more about this, it is no wonder why insurance is so high along with workers comp.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.