Dangerous driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Cobra95, Jan 9, 2013.

1. goblue

goblue Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    Its a tough call to make. I had two personal experiences with this type of situation. One was a friend of my dads. He had stopped over and was out talking with dad. He was in his 60's. All of a sudden he sorta went out of it for like a minute...then like in a flash he came back to and was just fine. I bet it wasn't a year later he died. I'm pretty sure he had a mini stroke. I learned from that, next time I will call medics...man this guy was just not right.

Second one was my mother. She was in her 60's and dimentia was just starting, she's full blown alzheimers now. I talked to my sisters about her driving and we should get her keys...OMG she fought us like mad, even started crying when I told her she shouldn't drive. Lost that battle until she pulled out into traffic and got nailed. Yup, took an accident.

It's a tough call, some people will stick it out to the end and don't know when to quit, get checked out, find something else to do, etc.. we get stuck in our ways. It's never a good thing to mess with someones lively hood, but on the other hand, there is a time when safety is paramount.

I will say that it is easier to do something when it is a consensus. If it gets bad enough and people are in agreement, go after it as a group approach and in a productive way...i.e. getting the person help...not just turning them in for trouble.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    {It's a tough call, some people will stick it out to the end and don't know when to quit, get checked out, find something else to do, etc.. we get stuck in our ways. It's never a good thing to mess with someones lively hood, but on the other hand, there is a time when safety is paramount.}

Nope ...not a tough call at all...you see a crime committed you report it right away....period. And when you stop to think about someons livelyhood 1st before the rest of the motoring public's safety then you definitely have your priorities mixed up. Safety is 1st...ALWAYS...by not reporting that man , you would be just a s guilty as him , if he continued on and caused a fatal accident. My family as well as yours use the roads every day, and we as professionals have an obligation to help keep the roads safe, not just to ourselves but to the others using the roads. You need to get on one side or the other man when it comes to safety you either care about it or not.....one one hand you say don't hurt someones livelyhood... then in your next sentence you say safety is paramount....Like I said SAFETY IS ALWAYS 1st... as a student please let that sink in DEEP.....How would you feel if your Mother had been killed in that accident , or if she had killed someone else.....

mattbh23 Thanks this.
  4. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    There is no such thing as "weird ethics". Either it is ethical or it is not.

From Websters:

Reporting erratic driving is ethical.

Witnessing a fellow erratic driver and not reporting him/her is accessory to any situation/damages/deaths that may occur from said negligent driver.

Mikeeee

5. pokerhound67

pokerhound67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 30, 2012

so....then you agree that there IS such a thing as "weird ethics". for what may be ethical under your code of ethics may be completely unethical for the guy next to you. would it have been ethical to kill hitler? would it be ethical to eat meat? to clone sheep?

or more to the point, to report bad driving. some live by a code of ethics that says the worst thing you could be is a fink. they would certainly argue that reporting erratic driving is not necessarily ethical. i wouldnt, but neither would i paint things so black and white with such a broad brush in regards to whether or not to report bad driving. there is no report mandate, and the only person that wouldnt get off "scott free" from accessory charges as you suggested would have to have had the worst public defender in us history.

6. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Ethics: the discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty and obligation

You have confused this "snitch code of the street" with true ethics.

Mikeeee

7. goblue

goblue Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2012
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    I think how one makes the report, ethically, comes with experience. Some incidents are of a degree where they need immediate action, others can be handled tactfully, with far better results.

My dad lost a leg at age 80 and then had a wheelchair for mobility. I went to an auction and bought him an old beat up but functional K-mart labeled wheelchair so that he could just keep that in his van and keep his good one at home and not have to break it down all the time.

My sister takes him up north a few hours to visit some relatives for the day and they stopped at a gas station for a break, apparently my dad went in to use the restroom and used his K-Mart wheelchair. About a week later Michigan State Police show up at his home in Grand Rapids asking him if he stole the wheelchair from K-Mart...lol. Anyways I think my dad had a nice chat with the MSP and all was good, everyone left happy.

Apparently, someone at the gas station decided that my 80 year old dad stole that wheelchair, took down his license plate, and called the police to report this horrid felonious crime they had witnessed in progress. Now my dad was the nicest man in the world, he would talk to anyone and was very approachable. He had on leg at the time so I know he did not flee the scene quickly. Seems to me had this vigilant citizen just taken a second to talk to my dad they probably would have had a nice chat and would have learned where and why he was using that chair...thus saving the taxpayers the expense of the MSP "doing the job".

In any case, this is a good discussion. Sometimes talking to the person like others suggested might be a better solution than calling the cops or getting the wrong person in supervision involved. just saying, there are cases where some discretion can be used.

8. pokerhound67

pokerhound67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 30, 2012
    no, im afraid it is you who is confusing the definition. if you had gone a bit further in the same line you just quoted to tell me i was confused, you would have seen the words "christian ethics". if ethics are ONE set of rules governing everyone, why would there be any qualifier like that? the fact is, ethics vary. for instance, "muslim ethics", for many extremists, include a duty and obligation to either convert or kill everyone who doesnt share their religious views. others believe it to be unethical to kill ANYONE, regardless of what theyve done. still others think its unethical to kill any living thing, even swatting a fly.

9. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    I can see from your point of view of it being a "tough call" but in reality its a call that will most likely save lives! If someone is driving like that then they need not be on the road and the fear of them losing their career has nothing to do with your actions. Let the authorities and their company decide what was going down and if that individual needs to still be driving as a professional driver.

10. hup

hup Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Missoula, MT
    Lame joke.

11. amypete

amypete Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I don't know about other states, but in GA, insulin dependent drivers can only run the state of Ga. No over the road for them. My brother, a truck driver, is diabetic, so we learned this the hard way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.