Danny Herman

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Michelle33, Apr 7, 2024.

1. Michelle33

Michelle33 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2024
    West Texas
    Lol I followed advice from some other posts on here awhile back and purchased a McNallys truck road atlas-Laminated edition.
    So I already have that and do plan on purchasing a trucker GPS in addition to my companies and Google map.
    Thankfully I already know how to read a map- lol.
    So I always appreciate the pointers and guidance you Wiser ones provide here for us. Thanks again- :D

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    When you miss a turn -- or make a wrong turn -- DON'T PANIC.

If your trainer is truly worth his/her salt -- said trainer will show/teach you how to handle those situations, like a pro.

Missing/making incorrect turns are just part of trucking. When this happens -- STAY COOL.

You'll learn to figure it out.

But a good truck-based gps nav device will go A LONG WAY to helping you avoid such.

-- L

Michelle33 Thanks this.
  4. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Well, isn't that special! Most companies just talk in tongues at you......

5. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Just remember a saying I first heard over 40 years ago:

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but 3 rights makes a left.....

TB John Thanks this.
  6. Michelle33

Feb 19, 2024
    West Texas
    Hi guys :D Wow! This is so much fun!! I really love everything so far- I packed too much stuff, though... but thankfully we are on a load where a 10hr sleeper brought us back home. So I'm going to repack :oops::rolleyes: Lol.
    I'm starting to understand that this is a lifestyle and I have to make constant adjustments/decisions as things come at me. Organization is of vital importance to this. So repacking and planning what I need available for my drive time to be successful.
    With that being said- What are some good healthy snack recommendations that don't have to much sodium? I made the mistake of convenient snacks being beef sticks and cheese- that sodium is going to be terrible for me- what are some things you all have found to be useful? Also- what to do to avoid energy drinks/caffeine when I start to feel a little sleepy- I don't drink that stuff normally- so I need healthy alternatives....

201 and bryan21384 Thank this.
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I am on a low sodium diet. Instead of beef sticks, get nuts of any kind, applesauce, kettle cooked chips, are all good snacks. I eat carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, as well. I don't know if you have a fridge in the truck for that though but fresh veggies are a better option for snacks once you go solo. Caffeine is ok, as long as you drink black coffee. Most importantly, if you feel sleepy, pull over and take a nap. While you're on your 10 hr break, it will be paramount to get as much sleep as possible. Don't get distracted by TV or your phone. Eat a good dinner, and get rest. Also, it's a good idea to take a nap if you're in the dock live loading for a couple of hours. That's how you stay ready in this industry.

8. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    As a Christian, whenever I see a business make a big deal out of their faith, I get suspicious. The business owners who genuinely believe that you should do unto others the way you’d want done unto you don’t have to promote it. It already shows.

9. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Whatever religion you believe in has no place being promoted in business.
    Neither should your political views.

201 Thanks this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Ahh yes, we all remember when we were as chipper as you, until the weight of the world changed that. It's why most of us got into trucking, we couldn't believe we got paid to do that. Again, DON'T, I repeat,,and most will agree, don't overthink this. Concentrate on the job, you need something, wheel into any of the 4,618 Walmarts, and park WAY out of the way, and get what you need. The walk will do you good. To be honest, with all the additives in supposedly good food today, which bothers my stomach, I eat some junk food, although that term is misleading. Simple stuff, celery/carrot sticks, some crisp apples, or fruit, if you can find good stuff, kept me awake, for a while, stay away from "beef sticks" of ANY kind, the ingredients alone will make you sick. Energy drinks too. Terrible stuff, I tried it for a while, my little fingers went numb. Remember, NOTHING will substitute for sleep, By GOD, we've tried them all. Chewable beets help some, also, while tempting while getting fuel, DON'T "load up" on that stuff( except KTs have cheese curds) For what you spend, you can get good stuff at Wally, and a new pair of undies,,,if needed, that is.:eek: I'm not sure what DHT hauls, looks like van freight, which is good. Dry van is about the most universal trucking there is, and requires the least amount of hassle, like say a reefer or flatbed. There will be destination hassles common to all trucking, and we've all had our share, so I doubt you'll stump this group. Good luck, and remember the turtle and the hare,,,turtle: slow and steady wins the race".

11. Michelle33

Feb 19, 2024
    West Texas
    Thank you. You guys are awesome!
    I'm having a hard time sleeping or being down for 10 hrs.. lol I typically only sleep for 5 hrs a day- and I'm in solo training. So this is alot of down time that I'm not used to. I'm hoping I can get into a better sleep schedule- sleeping for longer. Maybe I need melatonin or something? My trainer is still sleeping, so I'm outside sitting on the curb at a truck stop, drinking coffee. Lol Eager to start my shift.. but still have 3 hours till I can drive again.

bryan21384 and 201 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.