Dash cam clip shows how fast black ice can ruin your day

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by lovesthedrive, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Your advice reminds of a certain song from Kenny Rogers.

okiedokie, Numb and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    I watched the video a couple times and I think see what happened, other than the driver not being alert and prepared, I've seen it many times and had it happen to me a number of times.

Prior to wiping out, the road doesn't look so terrible to me, until the car in the ditch comes into sight and you see the clean spot on the road where the driver loses control.
    That's the black ice, where the wind has blown the snow off the road and polished it.
    When he hit the ice the side wind took him and he lost control.

You can be driving on the stuff and not know it until you take your foot off the throttle with the Jakes on or touch your brakes.

One night I was motoring west on #87/#200 in Montana at about 65 mph with a load of farm machinery, it's snowing lightly, no traffic, the road is smooth and appears to be clean and dry, I come to a hill and see a Ford Bronco with a flashing blue beacon on the roof, (DOT), I go motoring by and down the hill while wondering what the heck they're doing out here on such a quiet night.

When I see the lights of Great Falls I pull my foot off the throttle and let the truck slow down, drop another couple gears and roll into town at the 30 mph speed limit until I see a street light ahead and pull my foot off the throttle, in case the light turns red before I get to it.

In Great Falls the snow had accumulated and there was 2 or 3 inches of it on the streets.
    So.., I'm down to about 20 mph, the light turns red, I just touched the brakes, the wheels locked up, the engine stalled and I skidded right through the intersection in slow motion.
    Until then I had no idea I had been driving on black ice since around Eddies Corner.

Was real happy the lady waiting at the light was paying attention and didn't pull out in front of me.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    FerrissWheel, Bud A. and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    #allicematters

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  5. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    drivers with CB's on !!!!!

FerrissWheel and tinytim Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.