Dash cam maker claims driver facing cameras prove driver did the right thing

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by smokey12, Nov 19, 2018.

1. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    KB3MMX, singlescrewshaker and Wargames Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Watched the video. I’m sold. I’m putting one in my truck and forwarding every second to my company at the end of my day. Had he not had that camera, he’d be dead. (End sarcasm)

stwik, KB3MMX, Zeviander and 7 others Thank this.
  4. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    I’ll agree with it. But I’ll also state I don’t want a driver side positioned camera.

Many of the Crete guys here can probably tell you about the videos they’re shown. The capture is 3rd party, critical event activated, and only reported if the call is for good cause. The only reason to fear driver side camera? You spend most of your day distracted and/or on the phone.

While I’m sure some hack could get in it at some point. The reporting company has no desire to see Billy Big Rigger with his junk hanging out.

5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    I myself couldn't imagine having a inward facing camera pointed at my ugly mug all day. Quite invasive to say the least...

With that said, I think you can clearly see the driver make the evasive move on the foward cam alone. At a minimum, I'd take out this drivers face cam for a job well done. He no longer needs his privacy invaded..

6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    The only reason to fear them is because you are distracted or on the phone? Don’t you contradict yourself saying you don’t want one? So are you distracted or on the phone?

Some of us just prefer a symbolance of privacy from unnecessary intrusion. I believed this when I was a cop, too. I didn’t want to know any more than necessary, I didn’t want to see people’s texts, emails, etc.

Yes, it’s the company’s policy to make since it’s there equipment, and it’s up to them to fill that seat when I clean my stuff out.

DSK333, jon69, kemosabi49 and 10 others Thank this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Gee, how did drivers survive all these years without cameras in their faces?

The idea of not wrecking the truck without one of those??? Unpossible. :rolleyes:

DSK333, KB3MMX, PoleCrusher and 18 others Thank this.
  8. SteerTire

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Actually I do believe it’s contradicting. But company policy is the same here for lease drivers as company drivers.

No cell phone use, even with a headset.

Why hand them cause? Even the video states that forward looking provides 95% of the decision. The other 5 would be used to terminate the driver for not following company policy.

Companies already take more control than they deserve. I talked to a JB Hunt local driver yesterday. Their local trucks have the cruise disabled. Despite the fact they’re driven on interstates. SMH

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Already have self installed outward dash cam. Inward dash cam no thanks. I use my phone for GPS and could look like i'm texting when just observing. No thanks.

laaylor Thanks this.
  10. SteerTire

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Mack, I witnessed an accident I wished I had a camera rolling at the time.

The driver they chased down, ran off the road to avoid it. Kept it on the wheels, came back onto the road. Kept on trucking, until the blues come on.

It was the truck behind him that hit the idiot that ran a stop sign in a construction zone. That driver never checked up, and bailed into the woods at the next exit ramp.

I stopped when State Trooper pulled the lead truck over. Offered the driver my name and phone number. Provided a statement to the trooper, then went my merry way.

Not sure what became of that. I never got a call.

Lepton1, Dan.S and Metallica88 Thank this.
  11. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Swift put those things in a couple years ago. They lost many drivers over it.
    The cam also did nothing to prove much, and eventually the inward facing cameras were disabled.
    If even Swift can not find a good enough use for them, of what use are they?

It wasn't really an issue with me. When driving I am doing nothing that would trigger an event when I am doing something I didn't want them to see - such as lighting my pipe, which takes both hands. Or using my GPS to find the next place to stop.
    I do those things when there are no other vehicles around me, camera or not.

They are a non-issue if you are doing things exactly correctly. But they can be used to show small things to incriminate a driver at a bad time.

We are not machines, and should not be treated or considered as such.

tinytim, Lepton1, Bean Jr. and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.