dash cam, sunglasses, seat cushions

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Tynom, Jun 22, 2013.

1. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    I use a dash cam just to protect myself from all the idiot 4 wheelers out there.

I definitely wear sunglasses as my eyes are very sensitive.

No opinion on the seat cushion. Whatever you feel comfortable with, go for it

bigkev1115 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    and handy to upload video to youtube

4. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    I wouldn't want to get a dash cam since I would just be telling on myself :)

I always buy quality so I got some $350 sunglasses from the sun glass hut that are lighter than a feather.

I tried buying a seat cushion but it made me sit so high up in my chair that I had to take more air out of my seat. Removing the air made the ride even rougher so that just made things worse. Plus I didn't realize how many times I slide my arm across the seat when getting out. With the seat cushion there I would sometimes cause it to fall out on the ground.

5. Krashdragon

Krashdragon Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Cleburne, Tx
    Dah cam... good just because. you can get one for about $25 and a 32Gig card.. that should record about 7-8 hours in Hi def, and then it just recycles. It saves files about every 10 min, so you can save whatever files you need.

Get good sunglasses. You only have one pair of eyes. If you wear or should wear glasses, get them from an optometrist. Or even Wal Mart Optical. (They do have some of the most current hi-tech equipment to make prescription glasses, just kinda cheap frames.)
    Dont' skimp of glasses. The cheap ones have waves in the plastic that WILL give you a headache, and you won't have any idea why. Cheap glasses are much better than 10 years ago, but you get what you pay for. There's a reason those Oakleys are expensive.
    You can go cheap on frames, but not on the glass.

Don't have any idea about whatever seat you're talking about, but I do like a nice thick sheepskin under my butt.
    Keeps the sweating down to a minimum as well.

Mary

Yeah, I know someone will make some kind of comment about the sheepskin, no biggie!:biggrin_25523:

x#1 Thanks this.
  6. BrianE

BrianE Light Load Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Livingston Texas
  7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Tired eyes will make you fatigued quicker than anything. Truckers really do give their eyeballs a workout every day with all the scanning and focusing they do. They might be out of shape but they have eyeballs of steel, lol. Use every edge you can to take care of them eyes. Wear sunglasses whenever possible. If you have vision problems get corrective lenses. I went years with squinting and when I got my first pair of glasses it was like a miracle. I tried to get transitional lenses but the eye doc says they don't work good for driving as The Breeze says the windshield blocks most of the UV rays which doesn't darken transitional lenses well. But still the brightness of the sun makes your pupils smaller and makes it harder on your depth perception. So I ended up getting prescription sunglasses which are awesome. The optometrist told me I had dry eyes too. Huh? I never noticed. She wrote me a script for eye drops and that really helped my eyes not getting fatigued.

A trick with night driving is any lights make your pupils smaller. Especially dash lights and any electronic toys you have on the dash. Dim them lights as low as possible but to where you can still see the the gauges. That includes GPS, satellite and CB radio lights. Your pupils will open up and I bet you say "wow" as the your night vision improves ten fold right in front of you. First do it in a dark rural area.

If you get sleepy at the wheel it's not so much you are tired as it is your eyes are tired. You can take a 10 minute power nap and your eyes recover quickly.

Has anyone tried the Forever Comfy Cushion yet? I thought about trying it. As seen on TV, lol.

http://www.asseenontv.com/forever-comfy-cushion/detail.php?p=381024

8. texasbigbird54

texasbigbird54 Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Uvalde, TX
    I think a dash cam is a prudent buy for a driver. I watched a Russian video today where a truck driver actually stopped in front of a female pedestrian. She then ran up to the front of the truck, slammed her hands against it, then threw herself back and down on the ground playing like she was severely injured. It was laughable. You just never know.

9. lilrich

lilrich Light Load Member

May 2, 2013
    phoenix AZ
    this is personal preference I cant stand the seat cushions and worry about what would happen if in accident or had to make a sudden stop and slip out of the seat due to them.

yes this is a good example of the need for dash cams among the 4 wheelers out there that like to cut off rigs

10. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    I totally agree with the dash cams. In the world of lawsuits and people putting blame on others when they re at fault or doing something stupid and denying it. And having one to protect your life and livelihood.

As far as sunglasses, self explanatory. Drive east in the morning and west in the evening and you ll answer your own question. And don t forget the glare off a fresh concreted road or truckers with polished chrome or stainless steel trailer and the sun shining on them.

Never used anything other than factory installed seating, If my butt start hurting or get uncomfortable, I know I ve driven too long or I just stop and stretch

11. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    That's why majority of vehicles in Russia have them...cracking down on insurance fraud. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.