Davco 382

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by larry2903, May 17, 2011.

1. PaulE

PaulE Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Verona Wi
    I have had Davco's on 3 different trucks and have never seen the fuel level change with the level in the tank. check that the drainback valves are working . there is one in the Davco and depending on your set up, there may be one up stream also.

larry2903 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gerardo1961

gerardo1961 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    miami
    I have a question about my davco 382,when I go in the shop for a pmservice with oilchange everytimes the shop put normalfilters from fleetmaster inside,have I to use specialfilers or is this ok with the fleetmasterfilter,and know one stupidquestion iam not a technikguy for what in special is the davco 382,when I was buying my truck the davco was instaled

4. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    many filters will work/fit. when you have truck serviced, the co will use whatever they stock. I do my own service, so I use what I think is best. when I first got my truck I used donaldson, no reason, just what the counter person sold me at truckpro. it would need changing at approx 12,000 miles. few years later one day at truckpro, they were out of donaldson & had no filter for my davco. went to nearby freightliner & bought o.e.m. detroit diesel filter.(mine is a detroit) kept thinking I had air in fuel sys, cause could not see fuel level rise for a couple weeks. filter last about 32,000 miles. the det filter also cost 50% less than the donaldson.

I switched filters back & forth for 1 year. always the same result. the o.e.m. would last twice as long. the donaldson filtered better, so I discontinued use of det o.e.m. filt. just recently, I looked up donaldson websight & the micron difference in the different filters. donaldson as I suspected had a lower micron filter, which means it catches more debri/water.
    https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/WebStore/hierarchy/hierarchy.html?section=10164

gerardo1961 Thanks this.
  5. gerardo1961

gerardo1961 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    miami
    for Heavyhaulers you have a idea how I can fix my davco,I need a heater for the fuel for my wintertime,last winter I have big troubles about frozen fuel engine was running without troubles only my mpg was worst,I like to put a heater for my davco 382,can I do this or have I to buy a compete new one and in what shop I have to go truckstop or truckdealers iam not a mechanic I fix everything in the shops

6. PaulE

PaulE Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Verona Wi
    Cartridges for a Davco are available in 2,7.10.25 and 50 micron no matter whos name is on the filter . Detroit Diesel filters are made by Donaldson who is owned by Cummins filtration otherwise known as Fleetguard. unless its a Wix, its probably made by Fleetguard . 7 micron for a DD if Davco is a stand alone. as high as 50 if a 2 filter set up. Davco has a detailed filter application guide on their site.

7. heavyhaulerss

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    you may be correct, I do not know of all the types or the options. this is what I do know det filt #23521528 cost 50% less & does not filter as well as donaldson p5500463.

8. heavyhaulerss

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I am sorry, but I do not know how to hook up a heater to one that had none with it.

9. heavyhaulerss

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    the next time I go the the dealer I will ask if they carry lower micron rating for the davco. they have always sold me the det one. same one every time. they never mentioned that detroit diesel had choices on the filter as far as micron rating.

10. PaulE

PaulE Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Verona Wi
    In my exp most parts people dont know what micron rating works on what. you need to know what you want or need. they depend on what was installed from factory. my 06 came from factory with wrong filter in the Davco so that approach does not work for me. if the dealer always gives you same one how do yopu know if its right or wrong for your app ? IMO. find out what is recommended and go from there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.