Day by day adventures of a new solo OTR driver

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by dieselfuelonly, Feb 22, 2013.

1. dieselfuelonly

dieselfuelonly Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I was hired on out of school. I am sure they have a time limit that they want you to get on with them after you graduate school, I'm not sure about how long though. I don't have my hazmat - they told me they'd like me to get it within 90 days. Unless they threaten to fire me over it, I don't plan to get it for at least my first year... I want to be very, very comfortable before I start pulling hazmat loads.

hal380, DoneYourWay and newlife1966 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cujo57

cujo57 Light Load Member

Oct 29, 2012
    The hazmat loads Schneider typically hauls aren't anything to be really worried about. They don't haul any of the hardcore hazmat products. You just need to make sure your paperwork and placards are correct. And make sure it's secured properly. You're also not going to haul very many. When I was OTR, I think I had maybe 4-5 in almost 5 years.

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  4. booba92EZ

booba92EZ Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    The reason why they asked experience is because it is hazmat. Or even dedicated they want experience l. But over the road they hire you right after school

5. dieselfuelonly

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    So, back home for a day while my truck is in the shop. Remember that issue I've been having with the drag and pull on the front left brakes for so long? The issue I've had 3 shops look at and all they do is adjust the brakes, tell me the slack adjuster is working fine and send me on my way? Well, today I found out what the problem really was. More on that in a minute.

I finally got through Charlotte to get my plate picked up and go through the "safetrack" thing they make all new drivers go through to basically check and make sure you are still being a safe driver. This consisted of several different things:

First we were put on the simulator, there were 2 different scenarios - one is city driving - you have to basically follow signs and detours through a city as if you were "lost" and do so safely. Speed doesn't matter, I rarely got out of low range during the city part. I hate these simulators, but it was no big deal. The second scenario is highway driving, with some traffic and dealing with construction zones, people pulling out in front of you, merging, etc. Again, no big deal, lost a couple points because my following distance was too close in the construction zone - the brake pedal on the simulator does not accurately simulate air brake "feel" in the least so I got a little close when slowing down. No problem though, plenty of points left over for passing.

Next we went out to our own real trucks and did coupling and uncoupling with a trailer, remember to check to look to see that the brake shoes are against the drums on the trailer and check to make sure the pins for the tandems are locked in - they are looking for this - as well as making sure that when you back under the trailer the 5th wheel picks up the trailer substantially so there is no chance of a high-hook. I made sure to go over Schneider's official coupling/uncoupling sheet the night before so this wasn't a big deal either.

Then we backed into a spot at the lot, remember to make sure to get out and look at least once. No problems with that either.

Lastly we did a trip plan - you have to use that stupid trip plan sheet that is in the resource books when you go through class - its a pain in the rear but I was able to remember how to do it for the most part. Enter that data in the Qualcomm, they basically look for the green checkmarks and tell you that you passed. Done.

So, I wanted to talk with someone there about the issue I've been having - poor miles, poor communication, etc. I waited and waited and eventually got fed up and decided to take my truck to the shop while I was sitting around. I had lots of smaller issues, needed to get my new license plate installed, door hinge looked at, cb antenna fixed, windshield leaking water on the passenger side, power mirror not working, windshield washer not working, Qualcomm making the speakers pop and hiss, etc., etc., etc. But before I took the truck in the shop I decided to look it over real well and look for anything I may have missed. So, I got around to that front brake. Why is this freaking thing still having issues? Why am I CONSTANTLY having to have the brakes adjusted for just this one side? I looked closer at it where the mount for the brake chamber meets the s-cam tube. Something didn't look right. I still had my sledgehammer in my hand from checking the tires and gave the mount a little whack. Sure enough, the whole chamber slams back and the mount had completely broken off where it was attached to the s-cam tube. THAT WOULD EXPLAIN THE PROBLEMS. I asked the guy at the service desk about this and apparently its a common issue with these Freightliners - and it happens slowly so you might not always see it start the crack and bend back if its covered in grease until it finally breaks completely free. Welp... out of service goes the truck.

So, I get told my truck will probably be ready to go Sunday morning - we'll see... I'm not too hopeful.

After that I finally got to discuss some issues I've been having with crappy miles, crappy communication, etc., with them there and we'll see if stuff improves once I get off the 0-90 day DBL as they say it will. I really hope it does because it has GOT to improve otherwise I'll be looking elsewhere. But, I want it to work out, so I'll stick around and if it improves, then great, if not, then we'll worry about that when the time comes.

So, I got home this evening and will have tomorrow off and maybe return on Sunday... maybe. I finally got to drive my old Dodge truck home from the OC for the first time in a month - I do not want to know how many gallons of diesel fuel I burned between Charlotte and here... let me just say after being stuck in a truck that can only do 63 MPH for weeks on end I was sure to enjoy the fun a 12v Cummins with a 5spd and 3.55 gears and the fuel turned up can provide...

Until next time.

tnscavenger, Kutina, woody71 and 7 others Thank this.
  6. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    In bulk we pull Haz a lot. I am under one right now in fact. People really overblow it. It is really not any different then anything else. There are differences but they are small. Don't sweat the placards.

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  7. Kfc_1134

Kfc_1134 Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Lone Grove, OK.
    I'm new also but can give u couple hints on some things. If ur running behind well let's discuss u giving up spot to get a trailer. Here's what I did. I had to drop a load in Decater, AR. I was bob tailing and put in request for empty or load near by. Well they found a trailer at Wal Mart distb center in Ft.Smith. I had about an hour or little more I went ahead and got in sleeper berth because I could leave an hour earlier next morning and didn't wanna give up my spot where I was parked. So I could have made it to trailer but since I had already stopped and was set for night. I just left alone sent dbl MSG through qaul and left an hour earlier or ,ay be two the next morning. Now I will say I got lucky because Wal mart sometimes will not let u get an empty w/o a load but he was nice he enough seeing I was bobtail he said we had three. I got one and headed to pick up my load in Muskogee which put behind because had to go to ft smith. So I just changed the NAT in qual. Sent my DBL MSG I was going to b late and updated the NAT. Now this load had to go to Austin. Next morning arrives and boom a bolt in a drive Tire. So again was behind. Long story short I changed the NAT and let DBL know and he changed on his end. But if u r sleeper don't give up spot in go get that trailer just get your 10 and tell them u can leave earlier the next morning. Issues w the load being late just keep ur dbl updated and change ur NAt. They haven't given me a bit of problem doing it as long as I had good excuse. Because same load it rained and rained and construction I had to change again but again dbl knew and we got the load there safely. Don't let them stress u. Change ur NAT give reason and go on. They just sometimes have to deal with. But NEVER give up ur spot to get an empty. Now if it was a load and u needed out of there that nights then well do ur best. Ur tandems look in ur permit book. The wabush trailers I think 17th hole the hydo's I don't remember but that book hasn't failed me when I scaled I've been pretty close spot on. Sometimes heavy on drive axles but but within the legal limit. That book will help u with ur tandems. Now California different story. If ur in a casscadia however u spell it has the DEF. California is nightmare. U tandems need b in 12th hole and it puts u over on weight of ur drive axles. I refused a load b4 I hooked up remember B4 u hook up going to Cali u have to pay close attention to that weight because they want them tandems way forward. Even moving my 5th wheel which I was going to try to do on that load but still couldn't make it work so they had to reload the trailer and was able to slide my 5th wheel back. Anyways just some ideals. Also ur hauling glass outta of that Muskogee Oklahoma factory b sure to look at that load b4 u put ur seal to see if u need to strap it. Then seal and put ur personal lock it. Always have a personal lock on hand because of the load that was stolen. I'm sure u heard about it. The personal lock would've saved that driver and schneider and insurance would have paid. The way it was it cost driver and company. Driver I dunno I've heard he lost his job and someone else said no but know for sure schneider got stuck w bill. Anyways. U have any issues I'm new also but I'm picking up advise from these older truckers and I'm putting it to use. Good luck bud!!!

8. Kfc_1134

Kfc_1134 Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Lone Grove, OK.
    Hmm the miles wow. I dunno but they r running me as much as I can go. I've been close to if not overa little 2900 miles every week. But haven't been running that northeast so maybe it's that. Trucks I dunno I got brand new casscadia straight outta school in Dallas. So I dunno what to say there but bet u get a new soon!! Good luck

9. dtcscout

dtcscout Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I really enjoy your blog. You're telling it like it is, but respectfully, and with great writing style. Thanks!

I'm planning to go to truck school in the next couple of months, and I'm seriously leaning towards Schneider. I did wonder if you know how they decide which OC you go to for your company orientation? I'm going to be going to school in Indianapolis and will more than likely be living there soon too, so would they just send me down the road to the Indianapolis facility, or would they possibly be sending me somewhere else?

10. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    They'll send you to the training center closest to your home.

dtcscout Thanks this.
  11. dieselfuelonly

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    From what I can tell it REALLY depends on what OC you are based out of. When I was back for Safetrack I talked with another driver that I went through training with, he has had the exact same issues that I have been having with miles and getting stuck doing the northeast hellhole. I will say I will kinda miss my old truck, its had its problems but its been good to me. A brand new one I would be so scared of putting one little scratch on it, because you know they will be watching...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.