Days or stay nights?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by meechyaboy, Jul 27, 2020.

1. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Oh my god the amount of cars that look like motorcycles because one whole side of their car’s lights don’t work and they use the high beams just to see in the lit up portion of town.
    I was driving down a two lane street countryside one night and a pickup had brighter lights that a football field, so I threw on my flashers and stopped to let him go the idiot would not go past so I had to wait him out.. but yea we got some blind dingbats here.

frito bandito Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I don't know how may more drug tests I need to pass before people figure out I do not use illegal drugs. And I do not use alcohol on the road, ever.

So stop harassing me. I need to start charging for "random" tests. Maybe then they will stop.

$50 for a random piss test since I've been driving for 2-3 years and haven't failed a single one. After 5 years it's $100.

4. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I always kept the same sleep schedule when I was working nights. The flip flopping was too much for me, much rather stay up all night watching TV, playing video games etc (best time to hit Walmart is 3am!) then go to bed at my usual time at 8 or 9am.

Granted I live alone so I don't have a woman or kids vying for my time.

G13Tomcat, dwells40 and Radman Thank this.
  5. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I had a similar situation with a car that was riding my DOT bar. I waited for a desolate stretch of the highway, then I let off the accelerator, no brakes or flashers and slowed from 65mph down to about 30mph before the idiot realized and finally passed me. They either had their face buried in their phone or were scared of hitting a deer or something else on that dark stretch and were using me to "clear" the road for them.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  6. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I would think you were on drugs too for wanting to go wandering around Indianapolis. :D

7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    All I want to do is see my country. It doesn't mean I am on drugs I am just tryin to make the most of things.

I see that your comment was made in jest and I get it. But for new drivers out there, just take the time to see things.

For all I know I may never have another chance to see it again. Whether it's a good city or a bad one it doesn't matter. I had so much fun driving into Detroit for my first time.

Speed_Drums, meechyaboy and Redtwin Thank this.
  8. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    This was also a big part of why I started in the business. Unfortunately its become just anotger day at the office now.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  9. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Lots of beautiful places to see in this country. Just in the past couple weeks I drove through some areas that I absolutely loved, but they were in Idaho and, like Indianapolis or Detroit, there are reasons why I probably shouldn't go sightseeing there.

10. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I go sightseeing everywhere.

I walked around Detroit for a bit and I am still alive. After that I got braver and spent a few nights there and nothing happened. lol. I just took precautionary measures while doing so.

But also some of the other areas of the country, so much fun, like Tombstone AZ, the land of Wyatt Earp. Being a bit of a history nerd, I couldn't help feel elated to walk around, listen, and fee what Wyatt might have felt when he was doing his thing.

Speed_Drums and Redtwin Thank this.
  11. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I get paid a PREMIUM to work nights....extra 100 bux. Not bad, right? Even if they'd let me keep it, and switch to DAYS, I wouldn't do it. Nope.

I've got my weekends worked out accordingly w/ the family, and I'm not sleep deprived, either. All the reasons above, I'd stay nights.

Great advice from @TripleSix , as always.

Wishing you well in your decision; time for this 'vampire' to catch his nap, for sure! ;)

TripleSix Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.