Dazed and confused!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by fordlady40, Jan 20, 2007.

1. fordlady40

fordlady40 Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2006
    ohio
    I just failed my manuveures test for the second time in as many wks. I am attending a 3 wks school. (17 days) but mine got extended a wk. my timing is off.I know how to do the manuveurs but my timing is off, they even told me so. does this mean that I am not suppose to be a truck driver or what? or does this mean that this school is not for me? from the way they are talking today they wont give me another chance. I went to school on a grant and I have to call the "boss" monday. I know I havent got the practice time I have needed. It is a small school who has played favorites in the past wk. and really didnt teach much the last half of the wk. I am just wondering if maybe I should try going with a company based school or should I hang it up? I know there is a trucker inside of me. Maybe this school is just too fast paced for me. Please advise.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    i personally have seen many students not pass the driving test after the 6th time of going........!!

its "nerves" and "butterflies", and a host of other things you put upon yourself and "physc yourself out" long before you even get to the test site..........

just hang in there, forget about the "favorites", that's every place you go...............

concentrate on YOU..............not THEM.................

4. fordlady40

fordlady40 Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2006
    ohio
    but what do I do if they tell me no more chances?????????

5. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    who's telling you "no more chances"..........??

the school or the DMV......??

if it's the school, file some sort of complaint with your state division on private school's.

i have never seen or heard of a DMV official telling anyone "there's no more chances", UNLESS..........your leraner's permit expires, then i'd presume you'd need to get another permit. you have probably invested some money into learning this job, don't give up without some sort of fight..........

just keep us posted as to your situation. we will help you as much as possible, and right now, "no more chances", isn't in MY vocabulary........

6. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    Not everyone who loves trucks and travel is cut out to be a truck driver. We had an acquaintance (now deceased) who borrowed money from a friend and also received assistance from the state to attend truck driving school. She failed the backing tests several times. She also failed the test at another school, that test having been arranged by the state. Her first school allowed her to practice on her own, after hours. Eventually, she passed and got a job with a training company. After a couple of incidents there, they declined to dispatch her with another trainer. She landed a job with an expediter and drove for several months before wrecking the box truck. Then she complained because her co-driver "employer" owed her $200. Truth is, if someone has that much trouble passing the basic tests, they should seek another occupation.

7. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA

truth is, the original poster hasn't even passed the tests yet, and i think its "nerves", and "butterflies"...........so therefore, your theory simply doesn't apply here. that was a totally different person you were "speaking of "................

this person is just having a difficult time with her "timing" and she's aware of that.

i suppose YOU PASSED ALL THE TESTS YOUR VERY FIRST TIME.......?????

if so, congratulations on degrading someone else................

8. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    In my class at driver's school, one man was not progressing well. At the middle of the four-week course, the instructors met with him and explained that he would probably not pass the course. He could quit after two weeks and they would refund half his tuition, or he could stay. He chose to complete the four weeks, and he may be driving trucks today, but he was not there for the graduation ceremony. My point is that sometimes you have to face reality. (I graduated third in class).

At one of my many employers, we had high driver turnover. It was my job to road-test applicants with a so-called "student trip". It was an eight-hour trip, and applicants were paid for it. I observed that about 10% of applicants are "born truck drivers" and much better at it than I am. About 70% are acceptable, adjust and learn along the way, and cope with it. We need warm bodies behind the wheel, and the aforementioned people get hired. About 20% of applicants have apparently lied about their experience, their attitude is bad, they abuse the equipment. One even ran a red light after I had warned him about the "short" yellow at that location. Later, he saw me at a fuel stop and asked why he did not get the job. Some people are not cut out to be truck drivers, and it is the first responsibility of the CDL schools to weed them out.

9. themlilboots

themlilboots Heavy Load Member

Dec 9, 2005
    DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!!!! Fordlady if you really want to drive a truck don't let anyone put it into your mind that you shouldn't do it. You CAN drive that truck, and with PRACTISE you will back that truck up just fine. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP! -Theodore Roosevelt When you talk to the "boss" on Monday make them work something out for you so that you can continue until you pass the test........stand your ground....it is your future...You deserve the best for yourself!

10. littlebit

littlebit Light Load Member

May 27, 2006
    Try to get back in there and work on it some more. When you go to take the test try to relax a little. If this is what you want to do don't let anyone including you stop you from doing it. If they won't let you come back to that school I am sure someone around here can help you come up with another solution. Good luck to you.

11. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    ok, at this time and point, i feel "the need" to pick you apart.
    in "no semblence of order", i too had graduated 3rd highest grade average in my class, 19 years ago. when did you graduate.......??

next,the instructors can say ALL they want to say, but it's still the individual that makes up his/her mind to stay. at my former "alma-matter", the student had up to the second week to drop out, and get a refund. after that, he/she was committed to stay the entire lenght of the course and pay in full all monies due.

let the person face reality thier own way if they wish to continue their education.

again, at this/or/that particular time, what was YOUR DRIVING EXPERIENCE LEVEL.....?????

this "so called student trip" is under false prentenses. those student/applicant drivers are now under the impression they have a job, even if (and presumably told) it was only a "test", that person was "working" for those eight hours. your company is falsifying their intentions.

stop right here.............no one is "born a truck driver", just more "adept" to the job...........

you think that low of the drivers.........?? again..........what's your current experience level, and your level of experience "back then"..........??

true, even sometimes drivers on "life support"..........:smt082

the lies, yes (at times).........their attitude, yes, abusing the equipment, YES....

on this, it was the right descision to make NOT to recommend him for a job.

true, some people are NOT cut out to be truck drivers. but it isn't the schools responsibility to "weed them out", unless they fail a drug screen. everyone has a "right" to get an education. we ave no right(s) to deny them of at least that. so you are wrong about the schools.

respond to my challenge of your background.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.