DD15 Coolant Question.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by LoneRanger, Feb 22, 2019.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    What is the average amount of coolant to add to a truck that runs around 2-3k miles a week. It seems my coolant usage is getting more and more, but no external leaks, and looked at the EGR cooler line, no white residue to indicate coolant leak from the egr cooler.

It’s a 2013 DD15 455hp, 10sp Direct Drive 2.64 gears.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    It has been my experience that a truck that is equipped with silicone coolant hoses will have a water evaporation rate of some where around 1-2 quarts every few months or when due for service. I think this amount can vary slightly depending on the number of heat cycles and the run time. IMO if you are adding more that a gallon a month, you have a leak somewhere.

A truck with all rubber hoses and no leaks, should technically use near zero.

Pressure test the system where stone cold and put clean dry cardboard under the truck. 9 out of 10 trucks that come through my shop with a coolant loss complaint have external leaks that are just not in a spot that is easily noticed. Dont forget to check inside the cab heater core(s), fuel tanks, apu's.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

If you have an APU, the leak may be coming from it. Some APU setups use coolant from the truck.

Every time you stop driving, look underneath your truck for leaks. Do you smell burned coolant while driving? Also, the coolant may be leaking inside the cab through the heater core. My heater core is located under my glovebox.

5. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

No APU no smell of coolant in cab, I’m going to have it pressure tested just in case and take a look at the heater core. Appreciate the info.

Any tool I can buy to pressure test it on my own, I don’t mind investing in something I know I’ll use down the road, plus I like working on my vehicles as I worked as a mechanic back in the day on passenger cars.

Thanks for the help.

PE_T and Goodysnap Thank this.
  6. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    LoneRanger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.