Dealing with a Flip Axle

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Hegemeister, Sep 19, 2017.

  1. DougA

    DougA Road Train Member

    1,429
    8,874
    Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    0
    Yeah,I had to change the air brake distribution valve,which is up between the axles in the frame,almost impossible to get to on the ground,esp. when you're old and fat.Like to think I've gotten just a little smarter as I got older.Fixed all kinds of things that day.
     
    Hegemeister Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. HighCountry

    HighCountry Light Load Member

    167
    285
    Feb 27, 2014
    Stephenville, Texas
    0
    When I run quad on the trailer, most times 4th axle down, sometimes permit it for length usually pretty cheap, Wy $10.
    Co annual $400 for weight and length.
    CO's well worth it don't have to worry getting axles exact.
    I've had good luck finding tow companies near truck stops they always have forklifts, drive in and they'll charge around $20-25 bucks takes a couple minutes a little more to move the stinger around.
     
    Oxbow and Hegemeister Thank this.
  4. Old Man

    Old Man Road Train Member

    4,280
    11,543
    Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    0
    TN $100 for annual length permit, FL is around $25. Just the cost of doing business with the big boys.
     
    Oxbow, Landincoldfire and Hegemeister Thank this.
  5. hammer1022

    hammer1022 Bobtail Member

    9
    25
    Oct 30, 2017
    0
    We've never had a problem with raising and lowering our flip axles, 90% of the time the shipper/receiver has a forklift sitting around. The other 10% there's always a nearby tow truck willing to do it for a reasonable price.
     
    Hegemeister and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. Rontonio

    Rontonio Road Train Member

    5,324
    36,091
    Aug 9, 2009
    0
    Define “reasonable”...

    I have dealt with a ton of wrecker companies and mostly they are out of their minds
     
    wore out and hammer1022 Thank this.
  7. hammer1022

    hammer1022 Bobtail Member

    9
    25
    Oct 30, 2017
    0
    Good point, I guess "reasonable" depends on who you talk to. I've paid anywhere from $50 to $200 to get it done.

    However, there are a few wrecker companies that will let us go to their yard and flip our axles/necks for 25-50 bucks
     
    Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. Hegemeister

    Hegemeister Road Train Member

    1,900
    1,640
    Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    0
    I know a guy who runs a 3 axle stretch. No flip and his axle is further out than my flip. He claims he's been running that trailer for years and never was cited.
     
    Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. Sportster2000

    Sportster2000 Road Train Member

    1,480
    881
    Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    0
    A person could make and aluminum a frame to mount on the trailer and a hand crank winch to do that themselves if they wanted to. Put lynch pins in it for easy take downs and set ups with the chains that you use normally as anchor points and securement. I bet it could be done for under $100. Then at that point why pay someone else?
     
    Hegemeister Thanks this.
  10. beastr123

    beastr123 Road Train Member

    1,715
    15,446
    Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    0
    I used a 3' oak 4X4 with a v notch in one end and 2X2 square notch out of the other end.
    I would string three or four 3/8 16' chains together to the neck while detached and the oak stood up at a 45 degree angle back at the break over joint.
    I then pulled the flip over with my truck and the oak falls free and helps cushion it with the dock bumpers on the corners.
     
  11. flat-step

    flat-step Light Load Member

    96
    21
    May 11, 2011
    0
    Hi beaster123. Could you please take some pictures next time you. I'm really interested in how you do it.Would help me a lot with my flip. Thank you in advance.
     
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted