Decatur, GA Orientation. Any info?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Hard Worker, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Hard Worker

Hard Worker Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Columbus, GA
    I'm still considering joining Swift. I've had only 8 months exp. OTR but I would be doing the Experienced Driver Orientation which is about 3 days. Just wondering if anyone here can tell me what to expect during the 1st 2 days, and also what motel they'll put me in. The recruiter said she didn't know and would get back to me, but it'll be Mon. before she does (today is Sat.) Any info about Decatur's Orientation specifically, would be great.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    Orientations are pretty similar at all of Swift terminals. You will be given a road test, whiz quiz, and possibly a new physical. Then you will watch videos about things Swift, fill out lots of paperwork and be bored to tears. Depending on your driving test you may be required to go out with a mentor for 50 hours to 240 hours. I may be wrong, and apologize now if I am, but almost all new to Swift drivers have to do at least the minimum 50 hours to get familiar with the qualcom and a few other things.

Good luck to you and welcome!

4. Hard Worker

Nov 1, 2013
    Columbus, GA
    Thanks for the welcome! Yeah I was mostly wondering what motel I'd be put in, now that I think about it, it's quite an unimportant factor/question + I'll be able to find out tomorrow when I talk to my recruiter again. I was just being impatient, I guess.

5. inkeper

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    I promise you it will NOT be a 5 star hotel!

6. Hard Worker

Nov 1, 2013
    Columbus, GA
    Wasn't expecting one at all. More like wondering if it'll be a 2 star motel, instead of a 1 star. Or maybe even a 3 star motel, if we're lucky.

7. inkeper

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    This was meant to be taken as a joke.

I was in the hotel business for years. Everyone's criteria for the star system is different. What I might consider a 2 star hotel could be someone else's 5 star.

The one Swift uses will have very basic creature comforts, and might even have some creatures in the room with you.

8. Hard Worker

Nov 1, 2013
    Columbus, GA
    ^ Reminds me of the Express Inn & Suites where we stayed for Schneider's orientation in Stockbridge, GA last November.

9. tmb0507

tmb0507 Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Folkston, GA
    i did my swift orientation in decatur they put you in a red roof in which serves breakfast every morning your across the street from a walmart and a taco bell long johns silver combo deal. orienation consisted of driver taking a drivers test and doing your physical and drug test one the first day next day is alot of paperwork a log class is thrown in their as well as people coming in and talking to you its not to bad and they served popeyes for lunch from what i heard its whats they have always done

10. Hard Worker

Nov 1, 2013
    Columbus, GA
    Alright, doesn't sound too bad, thanks for the info! Are you still driving there, and what are some pros & cons?

11. tmb0507

tmb0507 Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Folkston, GA
    i Actually left back in april but am heading back next week on a dedicated account some of the cons can be the trucks can be run down especially starting out but if you find one you like hold on to it i was on dedicated most of time there so i didnt have many complaints made good miles due this. as long as you make your loads on time and dont hit nothing your good i enjoyed no complaints thus far

Hard Worker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.