Decided on a Truck Bike

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Big Road Skateboard, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    That’s what I would do. Build out the front of the trailer to house the bike. Won’t be cheap though.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    i like the idea, but yeah your securment is terrible
    those plastic license plate brackets are not for tie downs... their held on by 3 tiny screws
    maybe you have it over the tire but thats still not right
    and 1 inch straps are not good enough in this situation. go get actual straps for a bike or atleast some 2 inch

4. The Railsplitter

The Railsplitter Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    I always dreamed of modding out a big ol' condo if I came into money... lose the 5th wheel and install a diamond-plate BBQ deck with railings all around and a wide railing "gate" at the tail end. The deck would have recessed tie-down points for motorcycles, and some diamond-plate storage boxes right behind the sleeper. A raised diamond-plate "curb" around the edges of the deck, except where the gate was. You know those roller ramps that slide out on U-Haul trucks? I'd have a wide ramp similar to one of those U-Haul numbers, something I could safely use to ride bikes on and off the BBQ deck. Drive from riding area to riding area, maybe toss in some county, state & national parks... buy big ol' Enduro thumpers to handle any riding situation and still be street legal. Meh, just another dream of mine... but it would be cool to have such a ride. And since I'm dreamin', make it a big ol' custom sleeper on a stretched-out frame, with a full-sized shower aboard, lol. Might as well throw in a bar too, for once the rig is parked... :rolleyes:

P.S. We could slap a regular heavy-duty hitch on the truck to haul a boat as well, lol... :cool:

Rideandrepair and Still undecided Thank this.
  5. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    747246F0-B8E0-4A17-856E-60D7ECB523D1.jpeg
    This is how the big boys do it.

6. supergreatguy

supergreatguy Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2020
    Fab up a foldable/tuckable ramp that uses those roller bars like they use to slide packages around in warehouses. Look for aluminum for weight purposes. And get you a cheap wench to use around the forks to pull while you balance the bike going up.

7. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    Rampage Power Lift Ramp
    This seems to be the easiest solution. I bought a R1250GSA a few months ago to put on my catwalk.
    Now I just need to stop and order the rampage.
    I do have a 4 axle, so the long wheelbase will make this set up easier.

8. Keepforgettingmypassword

Keepforgettingmypassword Heavy Load Member

Jan 11, 2022
  9. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I've tossed around a similiar idea, like @supergreatguy mentioned. I like the looks of that, but would like something narrower.

Not to mention the 3k$ pricetag, and I'm a cheap bass turd.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    This.

Go get a military surplus spare tire boom off an M939A2 series truck. Rated to lift a 425 lb super single with run-flat insert and bead lock up behind the cab of the truck for stowage. Basically pull the pin, extend the boom, insert pin, and a chain hoist to lift it up. Mount it securely to the right frame rail, then make locking hinges for the left cab extenders that would allow them to swing out for loading/unloading the bike. You can then sling load the bike up onto a motorcycle rack directly behind the cab.

The only pic I could find really quick was for the A0 mount. Its smaller, doesn't lift as high, extend as far, nor lift as much weight, but is the same basic overall design.

[​IMG]

11. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I had a similar idea but not that well thought out to mount into stake pockets on a flatbed. Maybe using the j hook rail to keep it from tearing the pocket out. If you know you don't need your whole trailer it would certainly be a place to put a bike. My only worry with that military lift is the ridge between the sections you need to ride the winch over when putting the bike up. With a tire you might leave the old one on the ground. I just think it might be a struggle.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.