Decisions Decisions Decisions

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by DownSouthNC, Mar 12, 2024.

Whom would you train/drive for?

1. Stevens

5.3%
  2. Prime

10.5%
  3. Roehl

10.5%
  4. Wilson

10.5%
  5. NONE of the above

68.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wilson may also be hauling some Prime freight. I've seen a few of Wilson trucks pulling Prime refrigerated trailers. Prime is probably just one of many customers.

DownSouthNC Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    If those are your choices and scraping up the cash for private school isn’t happening.. Then go with Stevens. Nice equipment, great training and from what I understand they really push safety.

Swift isn’t on your list but I’d recommend them second to Stevens. Schneider comes in 3rd only because their training is a little too short imo. Maybe the short time with a mentor works for some but..All men aren’t created equal :)

Maybe make a new list, lol

What I see on the road with Stevens doesn’t even come close to the Prime Inc clown club.
    They are rookies for the most part but you can tell that they have been trained better than Prime drivers.

DownSouthNC Thanks this.
  4. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    The only Wilson trucks I’ve seen have always been pulling Prime Inc trailers.

DownSouthNC Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wilson did sell their West Coast dry van division to Ashley Distribution (Ashley Furniture)

Concorde Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It's like asking which stranger driving a random car is the best one to catch a hitchhike ride in.

Reading the company website doesn't provide the necessary info on which to decide. Add points for company with a terminal/yard near your home. I strongly prefer company where you park truck at the terminal so they have no excuse for doing maintenance & you don't wait (unpaid) at truck stop while maintenance is performed. If you live in a tiny town you may only have very few options or no options. Move where you have better options. It's hard, easy isn't a good guide for good results.

Talk to current working drivers at companies that hire newbies in your area and ask the. To describe the pay, benefits, schefules, training period, etc. Weigh the things that matter to you, then pick company that fits you. Web sites and recruiter talk are not guarantees. They are nearly always maximums for a few very experienced drivers.

wifi_guru Thanks this.
  7. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    You gotta start somewhere. Most of us started out working for a less desirable company than where we are now. Just get your training and put a year in or 18 months at any of the above companies, keep your record, clean, and your nose, clean and then you can have your pic of most any job. Reality is You’re not gonna get your dream trucking job right out of the gate. if you do pick one of the above, they’re about all the same to start out at. Pros and cons for each one.

wifi_guru and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Drop an application to all 4 companies and see what sticks. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them as a start to your new career.

9. The one california kid

The one california kid Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    Look for an adult continuing education classes in your area. You may find truck driver training. Mine was state sponsored and only cost me $300-in 1989.

wifi_guru and Opus Thank this.
  10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Also, if you're a veteran, there are opportunities there as well.

11. wifi_guru

wifi_guru Medium Load Member

Feb 22, 2024
    Hang out at truck stops and talk to drivers and see how they like the company your interested in working for. Recruiters are used car sales men lol

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.