DEF Pump Issue

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by sonnyca, Apr 20, 2024.

1. sonnyca

sonnyca Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2023
    Good Morning - Last week my 2021 Cascadia had new DEF pump installed in Albuquerque NM. The codes at the that time I had were SPN 5435 FMI 31. Repair shop guys said it needed a new DEF PUMP and we got it replaced.

New DEF Pump was installed on Monday, Truck drove from Albuquerque to Bakersfield CA. Load was delivered in Bakersfield on Tuesday Morning. Truck was not driven/started after delivering the load till Friday evening. After driving for less than 5 miles, Truck has CHECK ENGINE light on, DEF is also leaking and I checked in Samsara it is not showing 3 codes with SPN 4374 FMI 0.

Please suggest what is going on.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If that is a DEF leak then there's your problem. Pump speed is high because all your DEF is getting sprayed onto the ground instead of going where it needs to.

sonnyca and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  4. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Can you see where the def is leaking from? Crawl under if you haven't already and see if there is a busted line or maybe it came undone.

sonnyca and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  5. sonnyca

sonnyca Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2023
    Good Morning - Truck is still parked in yard and we have repair shop in the yard. Will go today and see what is going on and will keep you posted.

6. sonnyca

sonnyca Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2023
    There was DEF pipe that came off, this is why it was spraying all the DEF on floor. Now we have fixed it and 2 codes are gone automatically but the main code which is SPN 4374 FMI 0 is still showing in Samsara. Check Engine sign is also gone but the solid yellow light is still there.

Any suggestions, Do I need to connect it to computer to remove the code?

7. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Some dpf related codes need a reset with a tool. Some may go off after a couple days driving. No idea what it will be for your particular problem. I'd probably drive it a few days and see if it goes off by itself than go in and get hit for more money but that's just me.

sonnyca Thanks this.
  8. sonnyca

sonnyca Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2023
    Drove the truck for 10-15 miles and then parked on the side, removed the Samsara device from the truck, power shut off the truck, waited 10 minutes and started the truck. SPN 4374 FMI 0 Code was gone but now I see a new code below :(:(:(

upload_2024-4-22_16-17-21.png

Attached Files:

9. SWM_TECH

SWM_TECH Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2018
    Seeing for source address (SA) 23 which is the instrument cluster, that for the ICUCO1T the fault SPN 523002/FMI 31 is listed. Fault description is an EEPROM checksum fault condition exists.
    Fault trouble shooting shows to program the Instrument Cluster Unit (ICU) with the "Newest" software available on server, if available. Otherwise, program the ICU to the "Latest" settings. or the "Factory" settings. If the programing was successful and fault is inactive no further action. If fault is still active after programming it says to replace ICU.

sonnyca and RocketyMan Thank this.
  10. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    @sonnyca thank this guy.

QUALITYTRUCK and sonnyca Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.