DEF Shortages

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by terryg247, Jun 10, 2022.

1. terryg247

terryg247 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    The driver I switch with told me that the Flying J near London was out of DEF. Has anyone been experiencing this lately? I know there was some talk about a diesel and DEF shortage but figured it was just a bunch of media nonsense.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I wish there would be a permanent shortage on trucks with emissions devices on them.

4. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    London had a shell gas shortage a few weeks ago as well . Might be a supplier issue

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Most likely the supplier was waiting on bulk price to go down and dropped the ball. Or simply dropped the ball for any number of reasons.

6. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    There was talk about this 5-6 months ago down in the States. I don’t recalling hearing any trouble up here with it. Apparently the US gets some of their DEF from China and from what I understand, that was the issue.

Around this same time I spoke with a guy delivering DEF in Calgary and asked what was up, he said that our supply is stable. It’s produced in either Belle Plane, SK or Montreal.

7. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    If you Google it, you can see that the CEO of the flying J actually sat in front of Congress in a congressional hearing warning them of a DEF shortage. This was a few weeks ago and he said it was going to hit in about 6 to 8 weeks. And trucks would literally be sitting all across the country. It has something to do with the railroad refusing to haul it. For some reason or some dispute. And it’s going to be ugly. Not sure if they’ve resolved the issue or not but it was looking pretty grim.

8. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Pay attention, please. Do you know what DEF fluid is? It's Diesel Exhaust Fluid. Every Diesel truck that has been made since 2010 is required to use it. It's a product made of 67% Urea fertilizer and 33% distilled water. Every diesel truck you see driving down the road today has to have this product to drive. The engines won't start without it. There are regulators inside the engine that mix DEF with the Diesel to reduce Diesel emissions. That's the purpose of DEF.
    Right now, Russia is the largest exporter of Urea by a wide margin. Qatar is second. Egypt and China are Tied for 3rd. Both Russia and China have decided to no longer export Urea. On top of that, India is the largest manufacturer of Urea in the world even though they consume most of what they make. What little they would export..........they no longer do. They are now stopping the exportation of any and all Urea minus a deal they just cut with Sri Lanka.
    What does this mean for you and me? Well, first, the United States imports most of it's Urea fertilizer. We are the third largest importer in the entire world. We depend on other countries to eat, drive and ship our products.
    Secondly... Flying J is the largest Service provider for Truckers around the Unites States. I'm sure you've seen their massive gas stations when traveling around the country. Flying J gets 70% of their DEF fluid from shipments via Union Pacific railroad. UP has single user access to the Fertilizer plants that Urea/DEF fluid comes from. No other rail provider has access to these distribution points. This means Flying J can't just go around Union Pacific. Union Pacific is in charge....for a reason I'm gonna mention in a few paragraphs.
    Flying J provides 30% of all DEF consumed in the United States. UP has told Flying J to reduce their shipments by a whopping 50%. And if they do not comply then they will be completely embargoed. That would in effect bankrupt FJ. This means that 15% of all DEF consumed by truckers in the US is no longer available at the largest travel service center for the entire trucking industry.
    Rome rotted from the inside out. It was easily invaded because it was occupied with internal problems. It appears we have discovered the Trigger. DEF fluid. If this holds up, DEF shortages will be the catalyst that causes food shortages in the coming months. Not only is there a shortage of fertilizer to grow crops in drought-stricken states (See Kansas' drop in wheat production for 2022)....but....now it looks like, unless the Federal Government intervenes via the Defense Production Act, ...which I am no longer confident they will....there is gonna be an absolute massive shortage of trucking in the coming months.
    There simply isn't going to be DEF fluid sufficient to keep the engines running and moving. Home Depot is now limiting the amount of DEF you can buy in their stores.
    I would think long and hard about the decisions you are making right now. Where you live. What you spend money on. How you prepare. This is so real that the CEO of Flying J, Shameek Konar was summoned to a Surface Transportation Board hearing to give them all this info.
    From what I'm reading....Blackrock is the majority shareholder of Union Pacific railroad. How is that important? Americas biggest fertilizer producer is CF Industries. Their largest shareholder is Blackrock. Blackrock controls the fertilizer industry in the U.S.. Union Pacific has exclusive rights to distribution points of fertilizer. Urea is fertilizer. Flying J needs Urea/DEF. Blackrock is controlling everything.
    The Chairman of the BlackRock Investment Institute is Tom Donilon, President Obama’s former National Security Advisor. Tom Donilon’s brother, Mike Donilon is a Senior Advisor to Joe Biden. Tom Donilon’s wife, Catherine Russell, is the White House Personnel Director. Tom Donilon’s daughter, Sarah Donilon, who graduated college in 2019, now works on the White House National Security Council.
    It appears Blackrock is spearheading the dismantling of the US system on behalf of the Globalists. And the first domino they are pushing over is the energy sector. They are using DEF to get the party started. This is one sector of the biggest downfalls in political repercussions this country has ever faced…[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ReplyForward

9. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    We were at Peterbilt the other day picking up my truck
    We asked about this and they hadn’t heard about it
    So then we asked if the def system could be turned off if we get the ok to do so?
    He said yes but “ it’s a short term fix to a long term problem “
    My wife says. “ that should be your slogan for your repairs “

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Is it bad that I'm just waiting for S to hit the fan?

11. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Donilon also worked for Clinton and Carter..I just wonder how true all of this is..guess.we will soon find out

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.