DEF

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by nunofreddy, Jul 12, 2018.

1. DYLAN_131

DYLAN_131 Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Congrats, you are among the rare amount of drivers that aren't abusing their trucks and systems. I generally refrain from cleaning dpf filters with any water. At the shop, we have one machine that blows it out (cleaner) then we place the filter in a kiln (baking). No liquids are involved.

I'm not 100% sure what would happen to your filter if you power washed it. However, there are screens in the filter that I'm sure could and would be damaged by power washing.

I'm working on acquiring a machine that'll let me CLEAN dpf filters mobilly, in about 30 minutes. I'm going to test it then offer a service to my family members that are owner ops and see how it works for them.

...imagine that- your DPF getting professionally cleaned while you reset?! Dang!

Nothereoften and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DYLAN_131

Nov 21, 2018

Sorry, just noticed I missed addressing the doser. I'm unclear as to which motor you have. I can really only speak for paccar, Cummins and a handful of Detroit's. Anyway, if in a paccar the doser recommended to be cleaned annually via a DAVIE4 forced regen. With Cummins they recommend the doser unit be replaced every 200,000 (they can last a lot longer. Just be wary of dpf system issues should you go beyond this mile marker. Many do.)

gokiddogo and Nothereoften Thank this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Isx cm2350. Almost never idles over night.

I went and bought a whole array of sensors and other emission system stuff. So I have an extra def and dpf dosers with me. Also have a laptop with only insite on it (Chinese version) and the adapter to hook up the truck. Just need a few more tools to have everything. Flare nut wrenches, 3 vice grips with rubber hose to clamp coolant lines if needed. Some extra hose of various sizes and a variety of air fittings. Always coming up with more as well.

5. DYLAN_131

Nov 21, 2018
    Definitely sounds like you are equipped. Idling over night us generally recommended against- as it does speed up bottom end engine wear/damage and can cause dpf filters to clog quicker.

It may also help to have codes cleared often, as 10 hours of logged dpf codes within the computer will trip a regen light, at least with Paccar engines

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  6. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    Um no.

7. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Pretty sure there's downstream sensors in the system to test the effectiveness of the doser, and if you're not adding urea in it'll throw codes and derate.

8. DYLAN_131

Nov 21, 2018
    The urea creates an environment in which it will help NOx conversion. Without urea, and pure water, the sensors will be thrown off, derates would be much more common let alone possible burning, as water would evaporate. Never seen it happen though. The concentration of Urea is vital for the proper operation of the aftertreatment system.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.