Delivering to small gas stations

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by ronjeremyjr, Jul 21, 2020.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    That's the way most smart dispatchers plan the loads. It's just easier and safer not to have to struggle to get in and out.
    I didn't mean to make unloading sound like a horror show. It usually goes along with little or no problems.
    I just wanted you to know about some of the things that can happen.

ronjeremyjr Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Well said. Tanker drivers are about the best I've ever scene when it comes to sharing knowledge. I used to carry a little notebook and I'd put down the fill locations and maybe a rough diagram of how the station was set up and the best way to get in and out. After a while I didn't need the notebook any more but it came in handy when new drivers needed information.

ronjeremyjr and Transit_lifer Thank this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    You just got to pull in the station the right way the first approach......so your near the fills.

Double hosing sucks.....

meechyaboy Thanks this.
  5. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Also it makes a difference if you’re driving a semi tanker or a truck/trailer setup. The truck/trailer being the more maneuverable of the two.

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    up here in New England, you most certainly DO back in off the street, block off intersections, and from another company's property.

ronjeremyjr Thanks this.
  7. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    In the years I hauled fuel with a tankwagon (bobtail), and pup trailer it was always easier to back in, then drive forward out.

ronjeremyjr Thanks this.
  8. Life on Wheels

Life on Wheels Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I back in from the street rather than back out onto the street like you do. You'll get used to the parking situation quickly if you are an experienced driver. Here in Las Vegas, I've had to get a W900 with a 42' lead trailer and a pup trailer into some really small parking lots, but you just figure it out.

9. ronjeremyjr

ronjeremyjr Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2020
    NY Tristate Area
    From the times I’ve backed into driveways
    from the street doing otr with traffic from both directions what I liked to do was get both lanes blocked off as fast as possible then everybody can wait if they don’t like it they can blow it out their ###.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  10. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    When I hauled fuel in Florida in the mid 90's we always were given a map of the station layout with location to park the truck labeled on it. It made it easy to plan back before Google maps were a thing.

RockinChair and ronjeremyjr Thank this.
  11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    That's for sure. I drove in Las Vegas for over 10 years delivering to over 75 local stations. We drove super tankers in the city and i never had to back into a station. You pull into the station slow and creep over to the fills. What I found to be amusing was when the station is out of product and the people will not move. They don't get gas until i drop. Just remember at the store if you've got problems with the drop go notify the store manager. If he or she does not want to help then fail the station and go on.

speedyk and Roberts450 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.