Dentist/Doctor exams while OTR.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rocknroller4, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Just curious how truckers manage working OTR and making it to dentist/doctor appointments? Are companies pretty sympathetic and book the time off for you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1278PA

1278PA Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2015
    That's a good question i'm curious too because i need some pretty involved dental work with an oral surgeon myself. The damage is already done but i have to get some broken molars removed and wisdom teeth. I'm sure i will need a week off at a time for recovery.

Rocknroller4 Thanks this.
  4. rpad139

rpad139 Heavy Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    I've tried to make an appointment to see the dentist but always miss the date. Got caught up in snowstorms this year or other delays making it hard to schedule anything.

If anyone knows or heard of a dentist that can see me without appointment that would be awesome.

5. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Schedule your appointments, put in for your time off at least 2 day b4 your appointment, and go.

Talk with your Dr or dentist and explain your circumstances and see if they are willing to accommodate you in case something goes wrong.

As far as companies being sympathetic....screw that. Your time is your time. The reason you need to be wherever you want to be in nobody's business. If you want to be somewhere on the 28th, then it is your company's duty to get you there on time.

If you are at a company that doesn't give a crap, time to go elsewhere.

For me personally, that is the #1 criteria for a company, getting me home when I say I want to be there....no ifs, ands out buts about it. Miles, running lanes, pay, etc don't mean squat if I can't plan my time off without BS. But, that's just me.

Good luck

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Fortunately I don't have to go to the doctors.

Dentist I would put in for the home time as soon as you know your appointment. When push comes to shave you can always see a dentist just about anywhere though, and at least get something patched up until you get home. Done that several times. There are a few of the GIANT truck stops that even have dentists. I know the Iowa 80 had a guy years ago, that would even come in during the middle of the night if need be, don't know if he's still there.

Even working locally, the card for my next cleaning is sitting at the bottom of the terminal managers computer lol.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You typically schedule appointments during your home time. And you should schedule the appointment in the middle or end of home-time not the start. This way getting delayed on your way to home-time doesn't cause you to miss the appointment. For example, if you get home most weekends make appointments for Monday, not Friday. Then get company approval to get back OTR on Mon or aTue.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I did not see a dentist 20 years plus. I spent the last 15 years reparing damage. I don't have the worst hygene but some cavities filled, one tooth pulled so far which itself was not bad considering my age.

Doctors? Only shipped to the ER like a freight in a ambulance when I get hit too hard by chain, binders, fall under a pallet in the grocer etc. several times. Once with high mountain thin air in WY and so on. I had a personal doctor at home but frankly no time to see him, gotta go to work and run some miles.

The team of doctors I see now include one for for vision, one for the heart, one for arthritis, one for one for one for etc etc etc.

Kept right on trucking.

I see a doctor for pain management once a month and I drive the ex to the VA when necessary We are medically off the road. With the medicines I take there is no way I should be in a truck.

RedRover Thanks this.
  9. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    It was what delayed me getting into trucking. Had some teeth issues I had to get taken care of. I would like to avoid loosing more teeth. Well I'd have to start at Swift, Western, Schneider or Werner.. so not sure they even know what home time means.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you do not carry gum infections and sickness your teeth will be around a long time. They have certain procedures such as planing for those who have it already. It not only affects the teeth but makes infections go into the blood. Thence to the heart valves to gather until someday far in the future it breaks off as a clot big enough to kill or worse. Regular cleanings will take care of that. Any dentist that is good can do it in 50 minutes under gas. That's less time it takes to do laundry on the road.

11. Jubal3

Jubal3 Heavy Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Central WA
    I have two dentists; one next to the. Implant terminal, the other one at home. I tend to stay out 5-8 weeks at a time by choice. One thing I've learned the hard way is to not try to be a tough guy out here. If you're sick, park the trailer and bobtail to a walk-in clinic.

I did not do this in December and wound up with double pneumonia, 2 weeks off work and a hefty medical bill. It could have been two DAYS off work and a small antibiotic scrip.

Don't be like me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.