Derate to 5mph crisis - regen not clearing codes for some reason

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by PermanentTourist, May 10, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Thanks for the video. I’m going to change the air compressor this week, and maybe also the fuel pump. I’m going to have to rewatch some videos on replacing the fuel pump as it looks much more complicated than replacing the air compressor.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Dave_in_AZ, Bumper and PE_T Thank this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I finally finished replacing the air compressor. It took much longer than I thought. I can only imagine how much more time-consuming the fuel pump is to replace. To think that the dealer can leave me with a bill of 3k, I may have to do this one too.

I got stuck trying to loosen the pipe from the air compressor. I couldn’t get enough leverage to break it loose. I was about to go buy a pipe until it dawned on me to use one crescent wrench on top of another one. It worked really well. I was lucky that my two crescent wrenches were able to be connected without slipping.

mhyn Thanks this.
  5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    you should remove first fuel filter housing and fuel pump then air compressor. That's the easy way.
    a. remove fuel filter housing and lines.
    b. remove fuel pump and lines
    c. remove air compressor, hoses, tubes.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Bumper, QUALITYTRUCK and PE_T Thank this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Initially I had in mind to do both as you recommended it, but I wasn’t ready to take on the fuel pump. I will need a bit more time to understand very well how to do it, and also to order the parts I will need for the job. I wanted to do the air compressor ASAP because it was leaking oil, and last thing I wanted is to get a level-one DOT inspection and be busted (again).

By the way, I had to remove the entire hose from the air compressor to the air dryer as oil had gotten into it. Apparently the reason why part of that long hose is made up of some sort of clothe is to serve as an indicator of oil in the air hose. I remember noticing that leaky air hose, but I couldn’t find the source. Hahaha.

7. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    remind me what year is your truck ? Does your truck have air compressor line cooler installed?

8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD15. I’m not sure what a line cooler is.

9. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA

Attached Files:

PE_T Thanks this.
  10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Yes, my air compressor has an air dryer located in the back of my cab and mounted behind one of my air tanks, possibly the primary air tank. I remember there was some oily gunk coming out of the purge valve early this year, but I didn’t know what was going on nor did the Petro mechanic know.

Attached Files:

11. fsuwarrior92

fsuwarrior92 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Hello... are you able to message me directly? I’m new here and can’t post yet. Having DEF issues that I would like to run by you please. You can also send me an email if easier info@btwlogistics.com. My name is Darrell.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.