Desperate in Dodge City

Discussion in 'Swift' started by HorizonRider74, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnt4039

Johnt4039 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2014
    When the Idle shutdown light comes on press the clutch to the floor 2 times really quick and it should then keep idling. Make sure you DO NOT touch the brake pedal or it will just reset the small idling period.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hamburger71

Hamburger71 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2014
    North Carolina
    I have no idea if this will help you, not with the computer and all, but when I drove an old Ford Aeromax we had to tap the cruise to engage it and cause a higher than normal idle which kept it running.

4. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    son, here is a tip. get out the permit book that is in your tractor. find the tractor registration for your tag, it will give the year make model of the tractor you are driving. if you can find the registration you have more problems than idling

HorizonRider74 Thanks this.
  5. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    I don't think that's his point at all, the information is contained on the trucks registration form (cab card) and is easily accessed by simply looking at the permits for the tractor. yet , this yound man seems to have been trained and own his own without anyone showing him something as simple as that or else looking at the stick on the door frame of the truck.

basic info this driver should have been taught but clearly wasnt

6. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    What's up man, you don't wanna take a ride in my Volvo FLD 6900I?

losttrucker Thanks this.
  7. HorizonRider74

HorizonRider74 Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Sand Springs, OK
    There was a lot of stuff I have found they failed to teach, all for the simple reasons that the company is in a hurry to get butts in seats, and a majority of the mentors just use students for the extra mileage.But since someone was finally willing to say where to find the information, rather than mocking me for not knowing it, here it is:
    2011 International ProStar Eagle

8. ammjay

ammjay Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2010
    The "ICON" on the hood is probably a dealer plate from where it was once purchased. I dont know a whole lot about an "ih" anymore or these idle shutdown systems they put on the company rides.
    But, since it's your first solo, DON'T BE AFRAID ASK QUESTIONS OF THE GUY BESIDE YOU! If you got a problem with your truck, you see a guy with a similar truck , ask if he got any ideas on what ur matter is. Most drivers, when you ask are still willing and will gladly help you, no matter what name is on you door.
    After 34 years, I'm the poster-child of "Hey, can I ask ya a question".
    Watch the trucks around you. You'll see a lot of, why would he do that? You'll also see, hey, that was pretty cool, I'll have to try that next time.
    Use ur head, common sense. Don't think you can make it, know you can, whether it's backing in someplace, goin around a corner, or succeeding in this industry.
    Best a luck n be safe.

HorizonRider74 Thanks this.
  9. HorizonRider74

Jan 11, 2014
    Sand Springs, OK
    After playing phone tag all night, someone finally had the bright idea of letting me talk to the shop, guy said one of the three pedals should override the system, if it keeps coming back on, send a 55 because it's not working right. Which it seems is the case, so now I'm waiting to hear back from breakdown. Good thing my load doesn't pick up until 4 a.m. Sunday.

10. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    I am not on here to make you look ignorant: destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> However, you make yourself look that way by not getting out of your truck and looking at the hood ornament or the paperwork in the side box which they surely taught you in school to look for in case of accident. I'll bet you don't know what engine you have and its stamped on the top of it. I knew before I ever drove in 1967 the truck was a B 69 Mack with a 237 HP Thermodyne, built by Mack and it had a 5 X 4 and camelback suspension. Learn about your truck and then you can fix things when they break, like wires in a pigtail or a gladhand gasket. So, I still learn and ask questions and I am 65 with 4.2 million miles running mostly 2 lanes with no air, poor heating, 36 inch sleepers with a hole about the size of a henhouse, floors that would scare you and splash water in your face or even slush and smoke so black we left with white face cattle and ended up with black faced ones. I have slept in Buckeye and AZ and Yuma and Needles with no AC in August so I've been there. Now you know what truck you drive.

11. HorizonRider74

Jan 11, 2014
    Sand Springs, OK
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. And despite your poorly veiled attempts at justifying your post, you did indeed set out to point out what I don't or didn't know, and then patted yourself on the back for all you knew. Everyone starts out knowing nothing about a subject at some point, so you can either pass on what you know to those of us who do not, preferably without the need of self gratification, or you can continue as you are, and keep putting out more hot air.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.