Detention on produce loads...

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by boredsocial, Apr 7, 2017.

1. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    So some of my customers, mainly people who move melons, pay quite a bit more than the normal rate for a dry van during their season. This is (quite understandably) because they typically don't pay detention and have a horrible reputation for loading people quickly.

If I offered to pay some reasonable amount for detention (probably no more than 25 bucks an hour because I worry about people intentionally slowing down loading above that point) would any of you be willing to offer the broker a discount on the line haul in exchange? If so how much?

If enough of you seem to think it's a good idea I'll grit my teeth and collect a season worth of loading/unloading info so that I can figure out what it should cost.

Just so we're clear this would just be an option offered to people when they booked the load. I wouldn't be demanding that they agree to this, but if they don't I'm probably not going to pay detention no matter what. I know the customers won't pay me, so I feel that I should absolutely be compensated for the risk I'd be taking on behalf of the truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Reasonable and $25 per hour don't go together in one sentence

DSK333, fargonaz, SL3406 and 10 others Thank this.
  4. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Adverse selection is a #####.

5. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Amen ! And why I don't haul produce any more .
    Get nothing but jacked off on both ends ..not worth the hassles.

6. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Why should a hauler take a reduced rate just to get detention. I normally understand your posts and pay on things, but no way. Pay your normal rate and if trk is still sitting after 3 hrs. Pay the trk. Like Binzger said. Glad I don't do produce let alone reefer anymore.

7. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    25 an hour should be driver pay !
    And certainly not pay to the truck owner ..125 an hour to the truck owner .
    The meat biz pisses me off but at least the receivers want it .

diesel drinker and RET423 Thank this.
  8. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Yea, then to my understanding the broker says it's an exempt commodity so to give detention pay is rough
    I'm not picking on Boredsocial directly
    I have read some of his posts and believe he does what he can most of the times. I haven't dealt with reefer lds since 1986 and don't miss it.
    We get paid to do our job. If you the shipper or receiver fail to do their job in a timly manner, it will cost you.. no freebies

9. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    If customers "won't pay" for detention it is because nobody demands that they pay for detention, they will pay if the alternative is not getting their product shipped.

In trucking everyone passes the buck because they know the truckers will accept "I feel for you but they just won't pay".

My answer is "I don't know who they are but my contract is with YOU, you will pay me for holding me up or you can find another truck".

Brokers will fight for the money if it comes from their own pocket, all those mysterious "theys who won't pay" will either pay or raise hell with the people loading and unloading for dragging their feet.

With today's truck shortage they need us a lot more than we need them, nobody needs to be working for free in this market.

DSK333, nax, Toomanybikes and 5 others Thank this.
  10. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    In 1 hour I can cover 60 miles. So even with rate you would like to pay us it is $60. With rate the good brokers pay it is over $120.
    So you can shove $ 25 in ..............

Crude Truckin' and bzinger Thank this.
  11. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Alright.

I'm not particularly married to 25 an hour... It's just a number that I felt was low enough that nobody would intentionally hold up loading to get. I could see upping it to 50, but it's important to realize that detention is never intended to cover a carriers lost profit, but mostly it exists to give the shippers/receivers an incentive to hurry the #### up. And lol at comparing what the truck grosses when rolling (and accumulating fuel, maintenance, and depreciation) to detention rates and expecting the latter to be anything comparable to the former. I don't think I've paid more than 50 bucks an hour for detention in my life, and that was on port stuff out in Long Beach.

As to everyone #####ing about the nature of hauling produce... You should get paid accessorials when something that wasn't agreed to when the load was taken happens. My customers pay TWO TO THREE HUNDRED dollars more than other shippers because of the commodities they ship. When the guy on the other end of the phone pays you 2-300 dollars more than what the more normal loads pay because shippers in his industry are slow to load and won't pay detention you don't have the right to double dip and get detention anyway. Sorry. That's how contracts work.

I'm very clear about how detention works when I book a load with people. I feel that if I disclose exactly how it works in advance and they made the choice to book the freight of their own free will I haven't done anything wrong.

Basically I'd be willing to take some of the risk off of the truck in exchange for reducing the risk surcharge a bit. That's the whole idea here. FWIW my wife thinks this idea is worthless and has made it very clear that she's not going to be the one tracking the loading and unloading times on 1000+ trucks this year lol.

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.