Detroit 14L DDEC 6 Turbo Upgrade BUT HUGE Problem

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by rbrauns, Dec 15, 2020.

1. rbrauns

rbrauns Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2014
    I am in the process of upgrading the turbo on my 2008 Cascadia with S60 DDEC 6 engine.

As luck would have it, I brought my truck into a great shop that let me stay in my truck overnight. They are installing 6 reman injectors and a new injector harness. The shop also found the source of my miss. The rocker arm for injector #3 broke off!

While in the shop, I looked around for the T6 divided gasket. CAT has one but then I compared it to my new center section, P/N 23537114 and see that the DDEC 6 used a squarish turbo flange while the older engines used a more rectangular T6 flange. 23535457 is the P/N for the turbo gasket for my DDEC 6. Here is what the T6 looks like compared to the tiny openings on my exhaust manifold.

20201215_043528.jpg

BTW my EGR is disabled but I want to keep everything looking stock. The exhaust ports on the T6 are at least 50% bigger than my turbo openings so that alone is a reason to upgrade.

Then I checked out the DDEC 5 exhaust manifold and it looks like it has EGR and a T6 flange but the EGR opening is completely different.

Any ideas what to do? The DDEC 5 exhaust manifold uses slip joints while my manifold has flanges and a flexible collar.

So, will a DDEC 5 exhaust manifold bolt onto a DDEC 6 head?

Finally, my turbo is both water and oil cooled but the new turbo (a Garrett GT4708) is only oil cooled. Will that be a problem?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Honestly I don't see any other option other then bolting a ddec4 manifold on and forget about your egr looking stock.
    A bulldog (full tilt) ddec4 manifold and run it. Oh and you don't need water cooling to that Garrett., its designed to run with just the oil feed.
    Maybe someone else will chime in with ideas?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.