Detroit 14L turbo,vpod,actuator issue. or a sensor

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Berzerker, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Movamoda

Movamoda Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2019

So was it the turbo speed sensor?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I liked you *pressing the gas*. )))) Дави на газ. Давай, мой мальчик, дави на газ.... ))))
    Your problem is easy to fix but you can't do it without DDDL software. Your turbo is overspeeding. Take it to Detroit Diesel dealer and they will adjust it properly. Adjustment is done by changing length of turbo's actuator rod. I have done it before many times...
    take a look at these documents.

Attached Files:

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  6. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
  7. Eloveskeys

Eloveskeys Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Did you ever get this resolved, and what was the solution

8. Eloveskeys

Eloveskeys Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Did you ever get this resolved, and what was the solution?

9. Truck 701

Truck 701 Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2020
    41 years trucking and I made the mistake of buying a Western Star with 14 liter Detroit. Runs good, then bad. Meaning, last week I was bobtail, heading 30 miles, had to turn around for home as truck wouldn't pull itself. Ran rough rough.
    Engine rebuilt by Detroit " WAJAX" in Stoney Creek Ontario 2 months ago. New turbo 6 months ago so they didn't replace it again via rebuild. On the highway, trailer in tow, struggles to get up to speed , runs rough to the point everything vibrates in and out of cab. Sluggish X 10 !! Back to Wajax they found zero, nothing, no codes etc.
    Truck been running on and off crappy since I bought it a year ago. It occasionally runs smooth, but its short lived ( 10 - 20 minutes per every 2 hours) history from previous owner says VPOD original ( I have 2007 14 ltr) I'm very proficient in CAT 3406, C15 and C-15
    (YES THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN C15 AND C-15) but this Detroit stuff has me learning all over again.
    I'm a country guy, 59 years old, shop in my barn, usually can fix or figure out problems, but this I could use some help with, please and thank you.

10. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I have the same engine set up although it’s in a Freightliner Columbia.
    With that being said I have had issues with the vpod sticking on mine.
    It is exceptionally worse in colder weather.
    When this occurs the engine runs terrible with no power and sometimes would even miss fire.
    I would have to pull over shut the engine down then restart it again and go.
    the fix for the problem was a new vpod and wiring harness for the vpod.
    There have been many cases of vpod failures and also many case of vpod wiring harness failures do to corrosion.

11. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    On a 14L series 60 Vpod failure is one of the top 3 most common issues in my 15 years of repairing these engines. There was a time that 1 out of 4 replacement Vpods were bad out of box. Easy to test with laptop and DDDL. Not so easy without....

12. CGYMIKE

CGYMIKE Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2019
    Calgary
    Well im having very similar issues as the OP. When the truck turbo spools up to the top end i hear a poof/flutter sound happen and some white smoke comes out and then the motor de-rates. Its strange that it doesn’t do it while bobtail only under heavy load. We have changed the turbo actuator now and replaced the turbo in the past year or so. Do you suggest the vpod replacement then?

• Truckers Report Jobs