Detroit 60 issues

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Spacedout, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Spacedout

Spacedout Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2024
    Long time lurker, first time posting new member.
    Ive got a 2010 Freightliner with a Detroit 60 series with the first gen non-def dpf.
    Ive put alot of money in this thing and the problem continues. Once it warms up past 125 degrees it starts loping and surging at idle and under a load. It gets to the point its undriveable. Heres what ive done so far:

New ecm
    New left side harness
    New injector harness
    New intake throttle valve
    New egr and sensor
    New intake temp sensor
    New dpf harness and sensors
    Cleaned and tested dpf filter
    Cleaned doser valve
    Replaced accelerator pedal

Not sure what else to look for. I pay for a forced regen at the local FL shop and i get a few decent days, then it goes back to the same issue.

Ill include a link to a video i did of the issue:

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
  4. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Kind of hard to get full story with video. Want to verify couple of things. (1) early in video "ECU 128" displayed in message center. Check engine light usually on with that message. Is CEL burnt out on dash? Has it been plugged in with DDDL yet? (2) later on in video is RPM fluctuating like that by itself or are you on pedal reving?

062 Thanks this.
  5. Spacedout

Spacedout Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2024
    That code means there is a code but FL says theres not really a code. CEL works fine. That at the end is me slowly bringing it up to 1500 rpms steadily like i did when it was below 130 degrees. Its like its like im revinging it but im not, just slowly pushing down the accelerator.

6. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Don't know what "That code means there is a code but FL says there's not really a code" really means. In order to help narrow down an issue you are going to have to go somewhere that is proficient with DDDL. Too many possibilities with the info. that you have given. Why a FL dealer is having an issue with this is beyond me.

062 Thanks this.
  7. Spacedout

Spacedout Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2024
    Everytime i take it in it costs me about $4000 and i get it back running good, then a few days later its back to this. Our FL shop just isnt working for me. The next FL shop is several hundred miles away. No other shop in this area wants to work on it.

8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You could take it to a Detroit Diesel shop or if you ever go to Pennsylvania Pittsburgh Power claim they can fix truck other can’t.

One of the problems they had when DPF was first put on trucks. The DPF filter was clogging from my understanding. What we know now the S60 engine and all those engines at that time, were not running hot enough to keep the DPF hot when driving down the road and keep them clean.

One of the reasons the newer engines run hotter today is to keep the exhaust hotter and keep the DPF working when driving and not needing a parked regen.

I’m just guess that could be your problem because you said truck if fine after dealer does parked regen it good for a couple days. Pittsburgh Power sells additive to help diesel run hotter. It really for the newer truck not sure if it can get S60 exhaust hot enough to keep DPF filter clean or not

Pittsburg Power might have a better ecm tune to help those first generation DPF trucks

9. DDguy

DDguy Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Ont. Canada
    Is this a DDEC6 Engine ?

10. Spacedout

Spacedout Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2024
    I believe it is

11. Spacedout

Spacedout Bobtail Member

Mar 1, 2024
    Good info, ill start looking into that additive, couldnt hurt!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.