Detroit 60 Series (11.1L) - Coolant in fuel / water separator

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by alfio, Apr 26, 2023.

1. alfio

alfio Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2021
    Hello all,

Working on a new to me 1994 International 8300 with the Detroit 60 Series (11.1L). Engine seems strong, no coolant in the oil, but I am getting coolant in my fuel filter / water separator.

Here is a fuller description of the symptoms: 1) I'm getting coolant in the fuel filter. Not seeing coolant in the fuel tank right now but definitely getting it in the Davco. 2) Also hard to start cold (it runs for 20 seconds or so then super hard to start - massive white smoke and then some gray smoke when it gets close to restart). 3) oil is good, no coolant there. 4) I bypassed the coolant / diesel exchange but I'm afraid to run it now that I've found the coolant (don't want to do any more damage).

Initial thought is that it could be injector cup (or cups) but I'm not sure how to rule out any other possibilities. Would appreciate your thoughts. Just bought this and am definitely dreading a big repair bill. Thanks all

a.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    This is what mine looked like when I drained my fuel tanks during rebuild. I had all the same symptoms.

898134D4-2BB5-49F6-85D9-B88A127ED6BE.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  4. alfio

alfio Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2021
    wait, why delete. Did I post in the wrong section? Sorry if that's the case.

5. JoeyJunk

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    No. I posted the wrong thing. My mistake.

6. alfio

alfio Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2021
    Ok, what did you figure out about yours? Killing me with the suspense Joey! LOL

a.

7. JoeyJunk

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I assume it was injector cups. I was getting a rebuild anyways……this just sped up the decision. My old engine wasn’t tore apart as I was rebuilding a different block. I am currently in a legal battle with the engine rebuilder so I probably will never know any specifics of my old engine.

8. alfio

alfio Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2021
    Gotcha. I would like to think I'm not going to have to do the cups (hoping for O-rings or something like that).

a.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  9. MRMTRANS

MRMTRANS Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2015
    I had injector cups problems 18 years ago. But I found out because compression was breaching cup or cups and interfering with fuel flow in the head, causing a brief sharp sputter and getting into

10. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    O rings won't let coolant get into your fuel. Only possibilty is cups. Is it pushing out any coolant? Normally you see fuel in coolant

singlescrewshaker, JoeyJunk and alfio Thank this.
  11. alfio

alfio Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2021
    Dang BRS, that's rough news. I'm not seeing coolant anywhere else. Will pull the valve cover tomorrow to see if anything is going on there. I'm not seeing fuel in the coolant, doesn't smell like diesel in there either.

a.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.