Detroit 60 series 14L sputtering in high gears and throws out puff of black smoke

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by devontes, Jun 20, 2012.

1. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    Any time you have intermittent problems or Multiple codes. You can spend thousand of dollars replacing expensive parts or you can clean the battery connections, do not forget to clean and do voltage drop tests to the cab as well.
    Charge the batteries independently with a regulated charger, then check the voltage with the motor running at 1200 RPM and every light and electrical load you can find, check the voltage drop from the alternator to the right hand frame rail If it has over .2 make a #4 cable from the ground to the frame rail. Electricity will find a path and if it has to go threw a sensor to ground it will and that will give the ECM phoney readings. Temperature spikes are a prime reading that comes from the ECM, an engine does not heat up 10 degrees in 2 second or cool in the same time, that is stray voltage. Misfiring injectors are prone to the same thing. I am a firm believer in doing the cheap stuff FIRST. I have worked on many problem units that came in with bills for thousands of dollars, doing this fixed the problem.
    Just a thought!
    Compression in the fuel with a Freightliner you just have to look into the fuel tank with a flashlight the suction and return pipes are visible.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    advice or sales pitch?:biggrin_25523:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2013
  4. Robstr

Robstr Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Whet thru same thing. Changed vpod and all egr. found out had bad crank sensor.

5. Trucker93054

Trucker93054 Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Get you turbo actuator recalibrate really neccasary it is set right also have charge air cooler checked for leaks mine was doing same thing replaced vpod changed coc and turbo now it's strong again and getting great mileage

6. gudethangs

gudethangs Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Change the delta p sensor & the platform it sits on. Mine did the exact same thing. Changed all EGR stuff at Freightliner--still puffed. I found the problem myself--the platform was crack(only $26)!! FTL raped me for 3K!! F*%# FTL of Carson CA!!

7. my user name

my user name Bobtail Member

May 19, 2015
    I have an 06 Freightliner DD 60 that stutters and blows black smoke at 1300 rpm, and blows black smoke when it begins going uphill. I read all the ideas on this thread and went with the cheapest which was to shorten the turbo actuator rod. I did a half turn and it seemed to help with the stuttering (it only did it once today and yesterday), so I gave it another half turn tonight and we will see what it does when I start rolling tomorrow.

Does anyone know if anything bad will happen if you shorten the turbo actuator too much? I'm trying to be careful

8. larx

larx Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2013
    I had the same issue. Engine sputtering in high gears while going up hills, no power, black smoke, terrible mpg, etcetcetc.

Get ahold of rebel127 here at truckersreport. He tuned my ecm and my truck runs like a million bucks. Great power, great mpg, great everything. He is really smart about detroits especially.

9. Freightliner_Man

Freightliner_Man Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Check the VNT shaft on your turbo. It probably has excessive play. The busing will get worn and will cause a problem like this. I personally would not waste the time trying to calibrate the actuator. If the shaft is worn the turbo needs to be replaced.

Lepton1 and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Glad I found this thread. I just had a load repowered from under me, because of inability to climb even 1% grades. Black smoke, lurching/missing, etc. Changed fuel filter and same problem.

This is an '07 FL D60. The owner said he had the exact same issues a year ago, changed the EGR and problem solved. I bobtailed home and his mechanic will replace the EGR tomorrow. I'm going to review some of the comments from this thread with the mechanic.

11. larx

larx Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Could be the get valve, could be any number of different sensors in the air compression/intake cycle. Could be air to air. Seriously, get a hold of rebel127. You'll thank me. My truck runs so strong with awesome mpg because of the rebel.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.