Detroit DD13 or DD15

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by gwalbo, Jun 19, 2018.

1. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I’ve driven the DD13 in a Cascadia for over five years (I’m now in a Pete with a similar size and output engine, the MX13).

After spending two decades driving Cummins before that, I have been more than happy with the 13l motors. I’m doing up to 105,500 now with a 13l, and been impressed with the pulling power. I’ve pulled 96,000 up Cabbage and been able to stay at about 35 mph all the way up. Seems pretty decent to me. They’re reliable motors, but if they need repairs or maintenance they can be a little more spendy, from what I’ve been told (I’m a company driver, I don’t have to pay the bill).

MartinFromBC and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oram

Oram Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2012
    WINDSOR, ON, CANADA
    Volvo stopped the D16 because that was a total fiasco, they couldn't make it work. Yes, others are trying with the smaller European engines with more or less success, but they are not there yet. Daimler had the 13 liter Mercedes engine off shelf, but they needed to develop different engines for the different application in North America. I do not say the smaller displacements are dead, actually I believe in the future they will take over, just not yet. And what I am saying it is not that simple to ramp up the horsepower in smaller engines because the cost in fuel and longevity might overtake the benefits.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Problem is old school thinking. Before the new Tier 4i/Tier 4f engines guys would spec huge power and not use the engine to its potential enough. The emission system needs heat for it to function correctly. Put in a smaller displacement engine in with similar (or slightly less) power and work the bag off that sucker.

MartinFromBC and Socal Xpress Thank this.
  5. Oram

Oram Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2012
    WINDSOR, ON, CANADA
    Lol. I do not think anyone called me old school yet, however the people who do revolution shed tear, sweat, and blood, even if they succeed eventually. So rather I stay one step behind.
    What you say is theory and in the real life it doesn't work yet. Although Paccar do fairly well with that redesigned spotty DAF engine, but the Maxxforce, MAN adaptation almost bankrupted Navistar, Mercedes had to back off with bloody nose. The most well established European engine is Volvo, but far from being trouble free, and in the competition for the best fuel economy they fall back. The company I work for just switch to Freightliner with DD15 after 20 years with Volvo, because with the same job and same bunch of drivers do a mile better with a gallon. Also I talked to a small fleet owner with mixed fleet, and the Cascadias with team drivers on the same route and load save the truck payment in fuel over the Volvos. Although it is most likely not purely on the engine, but proof for me, the 13 liters engines do not win the war just yet in the long haul, truck load operation..... Beside to mention again, the engineers of Detroit and Cummins as well who have both options, recommend the bigger engine for this type of work. And I am not in love with Freightliner at all. I was with KW, and while it is a great truck to drive, but the pink glasses faded greatly in the past. It is a business and I need the truck with the cheapest operating cost with healthy working conditions.

6. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    My last truck had a D16 motor in it. It was a natural 600 hp, and was dialed up to 700 hp. My tare weight was 23,585 lbs. 2250 torque, 18 speed, and a 3.21 rear end ratio. I almost always got stuck with maxed tridems, and was always just under the max of 102,400 lbs. My sweet spot was 1375 rpms, and I'd be doing 74 mph. I ran the mountains of BC, and on the flat I'd happily cruise at whatever the speed limit was. Although if it was just 60 mph, sometimes I'd split down a half if I was in traffic (just to get better jaking if needed). It pulled like a freight train up all of the grades in BC. Best gear at the top of the Coq was 7 high, but I was only 75,000 lbs. Any other time 7 direct. I did not drive for fuel economy. Yes I took the wind hit, but the ratio was low so I never took the rpm hit. I still got a solid 6.2 mpg average. Oh, and I would never need to go over 1500 on any hill. It was a pleasure to drive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.