Detroit diesel 60 series problem

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by GNVTrucking, Feb 12, 2019.

1. GNVTrucking

GNVTrucking Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2019
    We still have issues. The shop has been over the fuel system, wiring, turbo, injectors etc. We sent the ECM back to the other shop to have it reprogrammed and got it back Wednesday, hooked it up, and drove it. It's not working any better. Here's my experience that day. Pulling on to road bobtail, couldn't really tell the power. After shifting to high side of transmission I shifted up 2 gears to put torque against it. Turbo would not respond, it took a mile to get to 65mph. I noticed that the mph and rpm were not where they should be, so I turned on my GPS to see what was actual speed. There was as much as 6 to 10 mph difference. Back at shop we hooked up the computer to see fault codes. It showed Turbo Speed Sensor fault. But I never saw a check engine light. They checked the bulb and it then came on. Next was to remove the fuel shut off valves on top of trans. They were loose and could be getting air. Bypassed them to get a good tight connection . Back on the road, I experienced the sam things. I took it further up the freeway bobtail again, and finally got it up to 70mph according to the GPS. The speedo on the dash never went above 60. W g end I put the pedal down my check engine light would come on and go off when I let up . Back at the shop the computer showed 13 times the Turbo Speed Sensor fault. Thing is there is no sensor. This is a Borg Warner quick spool turbo. When I did the delete 3 years ago, we changed the turbo and manifold. Deleted the EGR from the ECM, and reprogrammed it. It has ran wonderful, better horsepower, better response, better and cleaner emissions too. Now today after sitting a day the computer is back to showing a VNT code for a variable vein . There isnt one. According to the mechanics, 3lbs boost it shows when turned off, is from the atmospheric pressure sensor that was installed at the delete to give it better response. Feel free to give positive feedback. Thank you, Glade.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 4vmach1

4vmach1 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you have a turbo speed sensor fault that sensor can cut off the turbo from working efficiently. Just because the fault is inactive doesn’t mean that it’s not active because the turbo spins at a very high rpm and that’s when the fault gets triggered. I have also seen turbo speed sensors on a Cummins cutting off a parked regen which obviously doesn’t apply to your situation, but it does play a big roll on how the engine runs.

4. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    So you still haven't changed out the boost sensor?????????????????????

5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    People here are giving you advise and your failing to follow.....

Just because the computer is giving a turbo speed code doesn't necessarily mean that. If your boost sensor is not working or way out of range the computer sees no boost or very low boost for fuel demanded and thinks it's a turbo charger problem........ you see where I'm going with this..

Change out the boost sensor. Geez it's not even very expensive.... I'm not saying I'm 100% positive it's your problem but all things are pointed in that direction. And for the price of a sensor it would of been the first thing I tryed. And just so you know ecms just dont loose there programming. It just dosen't happen.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    He has a non vgt turbo now. The ecm has absolutely zero control over his turbo. Only thing that makes it spool up is fuel, plain and simple.

Hulld, spsauerland and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  7. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Turbo speed sensor code tells me that you have a "bad delete" That's as far as I will go here.

Rideandrepair, Hulld and swaan Thank this.
  8. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    It really dosen't matter if it's been D-leted or not . If the boost sensor is no good your going to get the same results.

The ecm dosen't see the boost for fuel commanded so it starts throwing all kinds codes that are turbo related.
    This is what separates the good trouble shooters vs parts changers. Sometimes you gotta read between the lines and think like the ecm to understand what's going on. A lot dealer techs cant think past what the screan on there handheld tells them......... think out side the box a little...............

Or just carry on and keep throwing parts at it till the $$ gone.

9. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Although I don’t have as much diagnostics knowledge of the big diesels, I have extensive knowledge with automotive electronic diagnostics.
    With that being said I can’t tell you how many times a car has come in the shop with a brand new sensor on it because the local parts store read the code and sold them the sensor only to have the code reappear.
    The next step after that usually involves the parts store selling them an ECM because it obviously wasn’t the sensor.
    After that doesn’t work it comes to the shop for a proper diagnosis only to find that the system was working correctly all along and there was a problem in another area that caused the code.
    One example was a car came in the shop with a recurring
    turbo boost sensor code.
    Same deal customer replaced everything to the tune of over a thousand dollars and still didn’t work.
    After checking it out it turned out to be a restricted exhaust causing excessive back pressure causing the boost sensor code.
    People need to stop getting hung up on code designations and think outside the box and understand how the complete system works.
    And for the record if we have replaced 3 ECM units in our shop that were bad in the last 25 years that would be a lot.
    They just don’t fail often and I have NEVER seen one loose it’s programing.

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m with swaan, change the sensor I had same problem on my 99.I don’t remember exactly, but believe the engine light never came on. I wonder how they checked it?

11. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC

That was my thought...... a correct delete disabled any need for the use of a turbo speed sensor, or so I thought???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.