Detroit Engine Diagnostic Link for One Truck Worth It?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by PE_T, Mar 21, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I’ve been thinking about buying the Detroit Diagnostic Link repair software, but I am not sure if it would make sense to pay over 1k (every year?) just for one truck. What are your thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    If you know how to run it, it’s a great tool. Best benifite is aftertreatment issues followed by injector issues, I’ve got 17 trucks running through the shop. And we Use it average once a week, sometimes on multiple trucks a day.

But one truck makes it questionable, it may sit on the shelf for 9 months, but if you can figure out 1 issue that could have taken 4 trips to the dealer to figure out, you’ve paid for it.

All depends if you have someone already with the software that you can trust.

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Cost is $500 per year.

PE_T Thanks this.
  5. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Depends which one your getting, what tool your loading it on. And how many your buying.

I want to say, the Mac Tool guy had a scan tool you could buy and “rent” the software by the month. So when you need it, go on line, pay the fee and use it, then turn it off before the end of the month.

But I can’t remeber for sure...

PE_T Thanks this.
  6. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    It was worth it to me. I bought a truck with 700K miles on it and had emissions issues within a few months.

PE_T Thanks this.
  7. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I pay $500 a year for the standard edition one truck user. And about $900 one time purchase for the Nexiq adapter.
    I think it’s worth it, uptime is everything in trucking. Twice I’ve been able to solve an issue which just turned out to be a bad wire. Beats Waiting to get into the dealer for two days or more.
    Plus I can change some of the engine parameters.

PE_T Thanks this.
  8. BigRedSA

BigRedSA Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2019
    USA
    Spend the $2300 on the laptop thats got all the model programs preloaded with access to all those delicious features these company can only dream to modify. I'd say especially since you have a cascadia, that entire DPF system is a money pit. Having that laptop lets you do a force regen and clear/diagnose codes so you won't be derated down to 55mph till you park it an regen. That laptop will pay itself off in time saved not going to the TA and paying them to read your truck. Some older truckers can't tell a laptop from a toothpick so they'll shut down the idea but I'd recommend 100%

PE_T Thanks this.
  9. Newto Trucking

Newto Trucking Medium Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    NE Illinois
    Recommend it 100%, give it a try, after first year you'll know your truck and engine, the dealer wont be able to rip you off with some bogus claims after you drop your truck off, as well other shops. My laptop goes with me on every trip.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    PE_T Thanks this.
  10. Dez KeepOnTruckin

Dez KeepOnTruckin Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Can someone share the link on where I can buy the laptop? I just brought a 2015 Freightliner with 600k

11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

The laptop is probably not necessary, but they will sell you one if you want it. The software is what you want to buy. You can use any laptop. By the way, I decided not to buy the software at least not yet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.