Detroit S60 (DDEC5) problems after overhaul

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by iuriikyryk, Mar 14, 2019.

1. iuriikyryk

iuriikyryk Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2015
    Hi guys I need some help from experience people ,so my story is my friend is a good mechanic and we (me helping him) got overhaul done on Detroit S60 (ddec5) engine . We did whole nine yards reman head, new main bearings ,new oil pump ,counterbores cut , new injector harness ,new 6 pack of Injectors , same cam shaft (was ok). When we started the truck it was smoking little bit but not a lot and then it starts misfiring we connected laptop and on cylinder 6 and cylinder 3 respond time dropped to 0.3 when all others where 0.83, and its smoking little bit . So after reading over this Forum i have couple things in mind ,1 injectors from Detroit came bad , 2 Injector Harness ,3 sensor harness ,4 OEM harness,5 bad Valve adjustments ,6 bad timing missed one tooth . I would really appreciate all hints and help .Thanks this forum for all the information it provides

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    #2,#5 and #6 sound possible. Easiest thing to check first is timing. Pin cam and crank properly. Also you did not mention injector adjustment. 40 in/lb. is proper value.

mhyn and KB3MMX Thank this.
  4. JDB95

JDB95 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2018
    We've had to go back and reset the timing before, also the valve adjustment could be off. I'd check all clearances front to rear.

5. Classic 124

Classic 124 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Can somebody tell me how to set the cam timing on a 1999 60 series did inflame and think the timing is off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.