Developing Problem Solving Skills (LONG POST)The best drivers

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by TripleSix, Jul 20, 2019.

1. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Get a hobby, it keeps you active and makes you think. Try and be an expert at what you do. If it ain't working for ya, stop and reset.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    There are many times when you show up to certain places like oil refineries and power plants, where some guy will ride up on a golf cart and have you hop on to show you they layout of the place, and where they need you to get to with your load. You have to choose the best way in. They want your load in but they have no idea how to get it in.

Remember that part in the previous post about having limited amounts of mental focus? Here’s is where you’re going to need it. You’re going to thread the needle for the next 30 minutes to an hour. It’s the equivalent of making that 1500 yard kill shot. If you’ve never delivered to an oil refinery you wouldn’t know that the routes in were made for daycab tanker trucks pulling a 45 ft bottle. And here you are pulling a trailer that’s 20ft longer with a sleeper truck.

“What happens if you can’t make it in, Six?”

I don’t know. So far, I’ve made it in. But that’s what the purpose of this thread is for. Some times, when they have something going into a section of a refinery, you’re the first truck in. They will take note and be able to tell the other trucks how to get in.

Point is, before you get to that point, you have to be mentally prepared. You can’t be firing the minimum synapses and expect to make it in to some of these extremely tight jobs.

4. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    That's what I like about rural P&D. Residentials, small businesses without docks--and sometimes without forklifts--construction sites...all with their own unique challenges. My rules:

1) No one gets hurt. While sometimes a calculated risk is necessary, blatantly unsafe actions do not happen on my watch.

2) Nothing gets damaged. We aren't going to throw the antique china cabinet four feet to the ground.

3) Git 'er done quick. This takes a very subordinate position to 1 and 2. If it takes all day to get things done properly, oh well, the company can just deal.

When I was doing linehaul, I swear I could feel myself losing brain capacity due to understimulation. One of the many reasons I went to P&D was so I could be in difficult situations. Some call me crazy and I call them lazy. ;)

J/Cope79, kylefitzy, mp4694330 and 5 others Thank this.
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    So, you went into a slump for a couple years, but managed to dig yourself back out? Impressive! How long did it take for you to retrain your mind to lose the bad habits?

When I was a kid, my mom was an avid reader. I taught myself to read. I could read a 300 page book in an hour and remember everything about it and be able to ace a test. When I got out of high school, I quit reading. A decade later, and I tried to read and it was extremely BORING and mentally exhausting. You know...get 2 pages deep and fall asleep? Something that was so effortless became exhausting.

Interesting point is, my mom, who was an avid reader when I was a kid, has gotten back into reading. Mom’s synapses had shut down to the point to where she was a Braindead (you know, the people you meet every single day whose brain run on that Low Power Mode, and does the bare minimum function). Ever try to have a conversation with a Braindead? Mom blamed it on her age. She can’t think, can’t remember anything, have to tell her twice, cooks stuff in the kitchen and forgets about it.

I kept reminding her about her father. Pops would get up at 0500 every morning, read, walk down the road and meditate, come home and read some more. Pops was mentally sharp until he passed at 96.

Well, mom has started reading again. The sharpness is returning. The mental focus is returning. The memory is once again there. Mom calls me on the phone every day to tell me about something she learned. It is amazing, you can return from the world of the Braindead. But now, she found some reading interest in some of my gun magazines articles about when SHTF.

One of the things that I find beneficial about securement and tarping is that it does require you to think outside the box. You have to get it right, or you will have at best a tough day on the side of the highway fighting with the load.

6. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Honestly, about 2 years probably. It takes work, it's just not going to happen automatically. I have to focus on it and develope new good habits but it started with a the way decision. I decided to make a change. Without that, it's just a dream. Along the way i would get frustrated and start to cuss someone and catch myself and stop it. Other times I failed and would throw a fit. Lol. Now I'm at the point that I get frustrated when I see drivers, 4 wheeler and big trucks, do stupid stuff but it doesn't change my attitude. It has no effect on me or my day. I just shake my head and go on about my way. This also goes further than trucking though. Once this attitude is developed it applies to all areas of your life. People that snap at others in traffic usually have the same response to their spouses and kids, not to mention the poor cashier at the store.

For some reason speeding in work zones has become one of my big pet peeves. So much can go wrong really quick but drivers still try to run 65-70 mph through a 45-55 mph construction zone. I don't get it.

I make it a point to not be in a hurry and to put others before myself and that helps a lot.

That's good news about your Mom. I didn't like reading as a kid but I enjoy it now. I read self help books, westerns, and my Bible. But I also like to read magazines that involve my hobbies. I believe that reading informational posts on sites like this helps also as it gets me to thinking. Anything thought provoking is a good thing.

Your Pops had the right idea, a good read, a good walk, and meditation to start the day. I think those things along with a good diet are essential to living our life as abundantly as possible. I do believe God plays a huge role in that as well.

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Good stuff!

RStewart Thanks this.
  8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    The first time I had to back out the way I came in - 15 minutes of driving in, 1 hour backing out. Then wait 4 hours for then to finish the maintenance that was blocking the normal way in. Their "alternate route " had 13'6 clearnace, but when I'm jacked over, one corner of the trailer is slightly higher than 13"6. The only thing that saved me is I had my cb antenna set so the tip was 13'7. I knew if that cleared, I was fine. If I heard "thwoing" I needed to STOP STOP STOP!

The second time it was back up 50 feet and wait for a back hoe to pull a fence post out, then lay down a bunch of pallets on the soft ground so my steers wouldn't get stuck.

When I have a trainee I always wear my uniform shirt, tucked in, with hivis vest - sets a good example but it is hotter than heck. When I am by myself, it's polo shirts. Last week I was running by myself, but didn't have my non-training clothes (these new Freightliners have NO storage), and it was hot, humid, and I just didnt want to wear the training shirt, so I rocked the undershirt - bleached white, in good condition, tucked in. For the customers and loads I was doing it was fine, not great, but fine. By day three I was in a bit of a funk. Tired, crabby, taking short cuts. I had to go into the office to ask some questions, so I put on a real shirt. It was amazing how much better I felt about myself and how my attitude changed. Sometimes doing just one little thing slightly better will revolutionize everything.

9. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    No Please keep rambling, I love it when somebody finally gets it, Dr Hyman rocks. Of all the books I listen to they all come right back to the same problem, Grains and Sugars. Thy are killing us slowly, His book Eat Fat get thin was one of my first books when I went Keto.

TripleSix and RStewart Thank this.
  10. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I've learned a lot over the last 6 years. I started doing my own research when I had a few health issues come up. I don't trust most doctors cause most of them are just legal drug dealers for big pharma. Plus I realized that people are being treated for the same diseases but no one is getting better. They're actually getting worse.

I've found a few really good doctors that believing in actually helping people get better. Big problem is out of 8 years of medical school doctors only get 4 weeks training on nutrition. Just absurd.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  11. rphdriver

rphdriver Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2018
    NYC
    And about 4 weeks of training on drugs

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.