Devices for reduced fuel consumption in Class 8 trucks

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by psalla689, Feb 25, 2017.

1. psalla689

psalla689 Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Hi all, I am curious to know if anybody knows/uses any aftermarket devices to improve fuel efficiency for class 8 trucks? Reviews?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Light Load Member

Yes- cut yourself a small piece of 2x4-wire tie it to the backside of the go pedal.
    It'll help.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Go to work for Sccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnneider, and drive cross country at 59 mph.

5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    59mph cross country=sadomasochism !

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    They are pretty much all gimicks. If they weren't, truck manufacturers would copy them all and incorporate them into their designs. And we'd all be driving 20mpg trucks.

7. Lightennader

Lightennader Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Propane injection from RMR in jet OK. it can gain you at least 2-4 mpg or about a 20% engine load rate decrease. If you want to take the time they have a dyno on site to show you what your getting. I know this because I work there and I may be a little biased but the dyno we have and multiple reports it prints out sure sends a message that it works. if you would like to see some of them just let me know what make, model, and engine and I will try and find a dyno print out of before and after

8. OneTwentyOne

OneTwentyOne Light Load Member

May 19, 2016
    Don't know what year / model you are driving, but let me tell you some of my experiences; 2010 Cascadia. I keep the truck at 60MPH, gave my EGR system a limited tune-up, keep the tires at manufacture specs and aligned and this is off my last three loads: 10K load from Iowa to Houston 8.9MPG, 44K load from Houston to Campti LA 7.5MPG and 40K load from Deridder LA to Waco TX 7.9MPG.

I can't speak for the rest in the forum, but like the guy before me mentioned - I push the pedal down thinking there is an egg underneath it.... If you are an OO it adds up.

[​IMG]

9. Lightennader

Lightennader Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Wow, I do have to say that is some pretty good mpg. Now add propane and you will get minimum two more mpg on top of what you have now. That is our standard gain. It can be more. It's done with the dyno we have, we set each valve for the truck. For instance, most of the time I see CAT 600 getting 3-5 mpg and when we are done they get 7-8 mpg.

10. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Best device is that right foot brother.

11. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    And by the time you add the cost of the propane, the cost of maintaining it, the cost of the equipment, the cost of installation, you gain......NOTHING.

magoo68, austinmike and RustyBolt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.