Diary of a New Tanker Driver - Comcar CTL

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by GolfPro, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Thermos Bottle

Thermos Bottle Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    GA
    That is actually smart thinking. When I took Chemistry lab in college, they told us not to wear contacts. The fumes from chemicals can get on the contacts and damage your eyes.

tnkrdrvr1979 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Any reason you can't drop back to the good ole' "bespectacles" ?? Just wondering. It may be posted, and I may have missed it; if so, I apologize.

Just wondering. I gave up contacts years ago, tho' they were fun in my 20's! ((((((years ago...LoL)))))) I feel safer with the physical and protective lenses as my glasses ( I have RX sunglasses AND RX clears as I am not comfortable with the time it takes for the photo-greys when I'm driving ) and they are both rated safety lenses and frames. With my insurance, it's not really that bad price-wise.

Everyone has their comfort zone, LoL!

I agree with @Thermos Bottle though. Man, I remember Chem labs from the days; that plastic becomes caustic gases with a little chem or two, and therefore..... eyes.

4. GolfPro

GolfPro Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Ridgeland, SC
    Your words mean a great deal to me, thank you. I also appreciate @Chinatown and others, too.

Look, the reason I didn't report it was I was afraid if I did, I would be fired. Nonsensical, right? But that's what went through this rookie's head. I made a weighted judgment: Report = 100% being fired, or no report based on unloaders' comments = <100% of being fired. And that judgment was based on my trainers spilling stuff, not reporting it, and other consignees not concerned with spills.

I found out otherwise.

Woodys and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    You don't just call a man a liar and then say that your just saying how you feel about like it's the most nonchalant thing in the world to do.

tnkrdrvr1979 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Where is the lie? Did the company call and ask? Both of you guys seem to throw that word so cavalierly.

Woodys, tnkrdrvr1979 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  7. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ^^ you are very well-versed, ethos. Much respect, man. Agreed.

8. GolfPro

Dec 7, 2015
    Ridgeland, SC
    I re-applied at McElroy and talked to the recruiter and explained everything. Also took @Chinatown advice and applied at Abilene. Will apply for others right after I post this.

ethos, GoldenLad, 123456 and 3 others Thank this.
  9. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Keep us posted, @GolfPro ... you've got a lot of respect, and Kudos around here ya know. Some of these big boys got your back and that's not including me! (Yes, I do too, tho.. !)

tnkrdrvr1979 Thanks this.
  10. GolfPro

Dec 7, 2015
    Ridgeland, SC
    So I've contacted McElroy, Schneider, and Abilene at the suggestion of @Chinatown. Abilene doesn't appear interested; Schneider invited me to orientation for a dedicated job that will have me out of town for 5 1/2 days at a time, home for my 34-hour reset and then back on the road, all for a whopping 30¢ per mile. Quite a comedown from the tanker 45¢ per mile I threw down the drain.

I'm so depressed about what I did that I contacted the manager at my old job, Jos. A. Bank clothing store, and he agreed to hire me back. Job pays only about $500/wk but I just might take it and abandon truck driving. Not sure what to do at this point; I'm not too keen on working for 30¢ per mile, even if I am a rookie who screwed up.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't give up yet. Try Magnum Ltd.

If that doesn't work then try Tyson Foods and Freymiller.
    12 months of any OTR driving and then go back to tanks.
    Do the online apps. and follow with a phone call tomorrow.
    I like Jos.A.Bank and bought lots of clothes there. Best underwear, undershorts/undershirts, in the world.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.