Did everyone go out of business? seems this forum died..

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by crocky, Jul 9, 2022.

1. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    They bought a truck in the high time for all the freight, now the freight is going down they still have that payment to make ….

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    They're still moving but a lot of the factories around here have laid people off. I might jump back into it if the fuel keeps coming down, which it appears to be a little. Unleaded gas has come down almost a dollar from 5 or 6 weeks ago. Diesel is still $5.25-5.50. I'm catching up on some deferred maintenance and repairs to my truck to keep the option open at least.

4. ESAFO

ESAFO Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2022
    Hubbard, Oh
    Gotcha
    I can definitely say there is no lack of RVs heading east that's for sure.
    Our gas prices have come down considerably over the last couple weeks also ($3.81) but diesel is in no hurry to come down over here same price range as you're seeing.
    On the Hot Shot Freight side of things over here they are still very strong on the freeways around me.

5. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    You need to get a fuel card. I haven't paid over $5 for diesel in at least a month. The turnpike fuel stops in Elkhart are $4.68 for me and off the turnpike in that area is another station for $4.88 but if you go toward Indy it's in the 4.60 range.

6. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    The humans are living in RV's more and more in NA.
    And their homes are bought by corporations, mostly investing firms.
    To be rented to future slaves to corporate gods.

7. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I only just put fuel in my truck for the 3rd time in 2022 today so I've been way out of the game. It sat mostly undriven for 4 months in the winter and early spring. But one of my old fuel stops about 15 miles away in MI was down to $4.95 cash price so I went over there. Over towards South Bend I saw some little rinky dink stations selling regular 87 octane for as low as $3.75 so it's coming down a little. I'm dropping it off at the shop tomorrow afternoon to for some repairs I've been putting off for too long. Once I'm pretty sure it's road worthy I will take another look at it. Back in April I backed off because of this stupid fuel situation. Total con artistry...IMO the situation with Russia has little to nothing to do with it. That was just the scapegoat to blame it on.

8. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    It’s rough out there but we’re still seeing some decent money with our direct clients.

Lots of Owner Operators jumping out though. Anybody trying to survive on spot market freight right now has it extremely rough. Talking to shippers, I think we may see that changing pretty soon though.

In times like these I’ve always just chilled out, only took loads that paid well. Myself, I didn’t mind waiting a few days every so often for a good paying load to come together. Sometimes I’d purposely take the entire week to build a great paying LTL load. It’s always a gamble but I often rolled out over the weekend to deliver 3 and 4 drops on Monday that paid from $5.50 to as much as $8.50 a mile. I burned a lot less fuel running like that and still had a dam good week.

I’m still thinking about buying another semi but I’m not getting in any hurry. I’m gonna wait until prices on them hit the floor. I had one picked out but the stealership was out of his mind with the interest rate. A month went by and he called back saying he could drop the price by $14k but he was still being a joker with the interest. I told him to stuff his truck. Been watching the auctions lately, and semi truck prices are dropping. Would’ve probably just bought a new Ram 4500/5500 but they’re scarce and they’re wanting more for them then I’m willing to pay.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.